RNSe Mark 2 causing 3 amp drain on battery

RustyBucket

Reaction score
Last weekend the battery in my 2006 s3 went dead during the day. Battery was a year old and had been fine since putting it in and was told by the RAC that it was a faulty battery so replaced it and the same thing has happened and the battery was totally dead this morning. So with a mate we've managed to understand that it's the Mark 2 RNSe until that causing the problem and with the ignition off there is a 3 amp drain on the battery until you disconnect the the RNSe and that drops to about .5 amp. The unit seems to work fine and this problem occurred suddenly, fine in the morning dead in the afternoon.

Although I've found a few threads which kind of relate to this issue, there is nothing that seems to suggest the cause or why the unit may go faulty? Is this relatively uncommon or do they go faulty, could it be firmware related as the unit still seems to work fine, can they be repaired if not firmware? For now I've unplugged the unit to test that it's definitely this that's causing the problem but any ideas would be greatly appreciated at this stage. Thanks

This is common to older A3s. The CAN Gateway isn't fully compatible with the 3rd generation players.
The dead battery also happened to me and to a lot of people here on ASN.
If you stay inside the car and lock it with the remote, you'll notice from time to time (iirc once every 3-4 minutes) that the RNSE will do some checking. There will be a hissing in the speakers and you'll also hear the CD drive doing something.
This lasts for 10-15'', but is enough to kill the battery fast, especially if the car isn't used a longer period.
The solution is to replace the CAN Gateway with a newer version.
I'm trying to find out, for my car, which version is the good one.

Hi Johnny thanks for the info, I had read about this but hadn't got round to checking the version I'm running against the wiki page which listed compatibility. What's confused me though is that it's been fine for about a year since I put a new battery in and retro fitted the RNSe and it only started doing this last weekend. There's been no change in the way in which I use the car and it hadn't been left standing without use either. I've always had a communication error with the nav, radio and telephone when I've run a scan which I've put down to me not having coded it correctly but I noticed during the week that one on the errors had changed. The logs are on a laptop at the moment but I'll post the differences up tommorow. I only mention this as it may point further to the unit rather than the Gateway version? Cheers

Thanks tcardio, is this a reference to the CAN version, it seems to different number format to the list on the rss tech page? I've established this with mine:

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 1K0-907-530-V2.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 530 K HW: 1K0 907 951
Component: J533__Gateway H12 0170
Revision: H12 Serial number: 3300106B0282F7
Coding: FD0F03C807000101
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 2F6DF53EBEBD41663D9-807A

No fault code found.

According to the ross tech wiki page (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Navigation_System_(RNS510)_Retrofitting) about incompatibility issues mine is NOT compatible (1K0-907-530-K | 0170 | No | Update available) and should be upgraded. How do I do this and any ideas as to why it's been fine for the last year and suddenly gone wrong?
Cheers

@Johnny Bravo,I mentioned above I would post this part of the log, this is what a previous log indicated prior to the battery drain:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 77: Telephone Labels: 8P0-862-335.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 862 335 H HW: 8P0 862 335 H
Component: FSE_255x BT H26 0290
Revision: 00000000 Serial number: 00000005046740
Coding: 0011422
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000
VCID: 3B75D16E7AC5ADC6811-806E

1 Fault Found:
02619 - Communications Wire Adapter Set
004 - No Signal/Communication
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01110100
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 145
Mileage: 2502 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2007.03.07
Time: 15:06:29

and this is what it read after the first time the first time it drained:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 77: Telephone Labels: None
VCID: 55A167D6BCA15BB6975

No Faults Found
or DTCs not supported by controller
or a communication error occurred

So something has changed here, do you think this indicates a fault on the unit as it's no longer communicating? Also my unit is a 8P0 035 193G and I'm trying to understand if this model is incompatible with the CAN Gateway but can only find lists of these other devices that suggest these are not compatible but they are later versions than mine aren't they?

- RCD-210
- RCD-310
- RCD-510
- RNS-310
- RNS-315
- RNS-510

Cheers

@tcardio thanks for this although it looks very technical to me, a bit beyond my understanding I think, it looks like it's saying the data bus should be J533, which I think mine is?

Got your PM mate, will reply now :)