Break bleeding question

goodbuzzman1

Reaction score
after I replaced my rear trailing arm, I went to bleed my breaks and alas, spongey brakes... Did a bit of research and discovered that I probably need to bleed the master cylinder which I will do tomorrow. I also read something about wrecking the seal by pumping the pedal to the floor.

When I was bleeding one of the rear brakes and was pushing the pedal to the floor I heard a hissing which I think was coming from the front of the car. I'm paranoid now. Any ideas on what the hissing could have been. It only happened once

Did your master cylinder reservoir run dry when bleeding your rear brakes? that may explain the hissing (fluid depleted letting air in to brake system) and also would explain spongy brakes.

Daniel

If you broke the seals in the master cylinder you would feel a step in the pedal.

I've had to change mine recently because I was bleeding the brakes by pumping the pedal

To bleed the brakes it can help by bleeding the master cylinder that's if your fluid has almost run dry. Start at the rear passenger side the rear drivers, front passengers then front drivers. I always bleed the clutch at the same time as its all part of the same system that uses the same fluid

The brakes on these vehicles should be pressure bled or suction bled with constant flow, not by pumping the pedal, eezy bleed are pretty good but have no more than 15 psi in the tyre, as it is possible to blow the seals with too much pressure.