2003 A4 Cabrio - Roof Fault - 02023

ori793

Reaction score
Hello friends,

Bought the car like this.
car has an issue with the roof opening, when i click the button i get messege "Roof not useable".
only fault code on the roof ecu is 02023 - Terminal 87.

i found on this forum the wiring diagram, but could not find any relation to Terminal 87.
tried feeding the ECU with 12V+ and solid Ground according to the wiring diagram.

after this did not solve i ordered another used ECU and fitted it to the car.

still same faults.
could not find this fault code information anywhere on the net.

please anyone who have experience with this,
i promise to update about this fault.

Have you tried a manual reset by folding the roof down by hand and then pulling the roof back up by hand? There is a key in the fuse box (red rectangle which you twist to get out) to unlock to roof and lock it

Yes i did, also checked locations of sensors according to this link from ross-tech .
i dont have any clue about this fault code 02023 - Terminal 87 , and dont know what to start from.

02023 is 1 of the surface mounted micro relays in the (roof control module) is faulty, you need to replace it. You cannot replace the relay as its not a servicable item you need to change the RCM or borrow one thats known to work and swap over to check.

Its under the rear seat.

I had to replace CCM too when mine did it.

Last edited:
thank you guys i really appreciate your replys.

i double checked ECUs today on a working car. both are working perfectly (after adaptetion)
on my car i keep getting Terminal 87.

Ovid the roof control module is located behind the rear right trim, where the window regulator is.
what do you mean by CCM?

Its actually under the passenger footwell carpet in front of the seat.

Have you tried operating the roof from the drivers door lock (with the key) ? The roof switch can be faulty and through the terminal 87 fault.