What power steering fluid?

rhinopower

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
this is what's come out of the car, golden in colour...

The only fluid I've come across before is either green or red, what can I top it up with apart from going to Audi, as I'm guessing it's the original Audi fluid?

Lovely! Il see how much it is from euros. Halfords is £11 a litre with trade.

get green from audi or vw garage. its cheaper than halfords and the correct stuff. make sure you get all that nasty stuff out

Just get it from the dealers, its pretty cheap and you know then that you have the right stuff....if i remember correctly, I only paid about £8 for it when I needed it.

i would only recommend the dealer fluid, other alternate powersteering fluids/atfs's will only mess up your steering rack

What do you base this statement on? . .

i have a few friends who also drive vag vehicles and two of them had to take their vehicles in for repair after a while after using dexron II based atf's in their reservoirs. after reading up a bit on the forums i came across this statement about 2 years ago.

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/correct-pentosin-power-steering-fluid-use-179326/

Never use regular power steeringfluid in these cars! If you do, you will eat away all of the seals in the power steering system and auto leveling hydraulics(in the rear) and cause unimaginable leaks leading to replacement of most of the components in these systems. The Pentosin fluidyou should use is CHF 11S. It is green in color. If you have a leak in the system you should fix it immediately, the leak will only get worse and replacing the fluid so frequently will cost more $ than the the part would if you had just gotten it fixed.

thus i suggest and recommend only the mineral based dealer fluid.

Ended up with a trip to gsf. OE febi bilstein green fluid was £6 for a litre