1.8t no spark at all.

Mark Greenall

Reaction score
Hi, really need some help here. I have a a3 1.8t. I had a misfire on cylinder 3. swapped coil packs and it stayed on number 3. I realised icm (ignition control module on the airbox) was bad so I tried to repair it but when I refitted the module the car wouldn't spark at all on any cylinder so I knew I had broken the module completely. I got a used 1 today (not ideal I know but they are 200 pounds almost.) But when I fit the new one, the car still doesn't fire not even misfire just does not produce a spark to any cylinder. I have followed all wires they seem ok. I'm worried I have damaged something with my bad repair or blown a relay maybe. It could be a bad used item, but why won't it just misfire like before? Is there any other fuse or relay other than the side of steering wheel? I have checked those and all seem fine. Plugged into vcds no codes. But it's an agu.

Can anyone suggest anything? I have spent 1700 pounds on this car since September. Bought it with full service history. And it's been 1 thing after the other

I have tested the ignition amp with multi meter. It was used item and shows resistance on only 1 pin the other 3 are zero. The pin with resistance is .2 the rest seem dead. I think maybe the ignition module I bought is broken. I can't see what else is causing no spark?

But do you get power to icm?
How do I test? I'm not electrical minded. Do I need to put multi tester on the connector whilst I turn it over? Sorry for sounding stupid. Your help is appreciated

I have checked new icm it is as follows
cylinder 1 has 1188 ohms
cylinder 2 has 9 ohms
cylinder 3 has 918 ohms
cylinder 4 has 31 ohms.
now I suspect that the 2nd hand item is suspect. As 2 banks seem low it would indicate the car won't start as it's 2 and 4. Anything else to look for before I spend 200 on new part

Find someone who owns same car and willing to help. Swap icn and check. Should be someone around you that have same car.

You would need to check the voltage while you turn it over. But probably best at this point would be to seek help from more mechanically electrically inclined friend or so. If you don't have that option than an independent garage is what i would recommend. Shouldn't cost much to check this.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/vw/1.8L/icm-and-ignition-coil-tests-1 I followed this guide with a multi meter. Was fairly simple and everything is working as intended so it is the icm. I was confused as to why it would not fire up I expected a bad icm to misfire? I now know there is power coming into icm. And that all the coils are receiving signal power and earth. Thanks to everyone I appreciate it. my missus is well annoyed with this car in the short time iv owned it its had new everything and I mean everything lol