Rear Diff issue

Euans2

Reaction score
Evening all.

I've been having a bit of bother with the car lately, the issue is there is a constant humming noise coming from what sounds like the rear of the car, I was hoping that it was just a wheel bearing on its way out but on inspection under the car I can see that the rear diff is leaking oil. Has anyone had this issue before and is it an easy fix or am I potentially looking at a new diff?

I would try and prove it is one or other first. If you can't narrow down the location of the hum change the wheel bearings first as the cheaper option. Also top up the diff oil-----quick! You might just save the diff.

The cars booked into the garage on Thursday for an inspection, the diff oil was changed roughly 3 weeks ago when I first heard the humming noise, I also had the garage check the wheel bearings as thats what I initiall though the noise was coming from, the garage said they were fine but the diff was a little bit noisy, funny enough, they didnt report any leaks from the diff at the time. If it is the diff thats away then i'll be having words with the garage as i've not even had the car 2 months yet

I had the car in at the garage today, they confirmed that there is a noise but they cant pinpoint where it's coming from, they are going to change both read wheel bearings and take it from there. The garage where I bought the car from is going to cover the costs of the bearings and if it does turn out to be the diff then they will also work something out with me.

The most annoying bit of this whole situation is that the car has been into 3 different garages and all 3 have given a different opinion, the 1st garage said it was the diff and not the wheel bearings, the 2nd garage said it was more than likely to be the wheel bearings but they cant pinpoint it's exact location and the 3rd said (after a quick test drive) that it was the front drivers side wheel bearing and not the diff but they wanted it booked into to have a full inspection on the ramps.

Interesting times ahead but at least the garage where I bought the car from is doing the right thing