Machine polish on new S3?

ConorA

Reaction score
hi all, just wanted to get some opinoins from you guys...

Have a new s3 picked it up about a month a ago, it's so good I love waking up for work now ha!

However they swirled the paint work when prepping the car and caused a few scratch marks. (New I should have told them not to clean it)

They wanted to collect the car to rectify the problem, on a trailer so they didn't rack up any miles.

However I'm not sure whether I want them to touch it again.

I've been quoted by a local detailer to machine polish the car for £100 and dealer will cover this.

What do you guys think, what would you do?

Is it ok to machine polish such a new car? (Don't really know anything about detailing)

Cheers for the help guys!

Mine was also lightly swirled up on the bonnet in a few places which I removed using a very gentle compound on my DA with practically zero pressure and only 4-5 passes. You will also find that most pro detailers will do one pass of the DA as part of the process for a new car detail. I certainly wouldn't worry about doing this on such a new car. I think the question is more do you trust the dealer to do it or would you rather it go to the local detailer ? As the dealer will cover the £100 it's probably a no brainer.

Reactions: TahirS
Sorry if it's an obvious question but what's a DA?

Mmmm they have been good but I don't think I do!

You think a £100 detail will solve this?

If anything £100 sounds too cheap, are they well known / have lots of reviews?

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
For a detailer to charge £100 for a machine polish its too cheap and something thats more on a conveyancer belt.

Are you on facebook? Check out 'dooka detailing' and read the post about an £80 polish.

Is £100 for the whole car or just the odd effected panel ?, also for that price you're unlikely to get any protective coating/sealing/wax. As others have said make sure it's a reputable dealer and try to get recommendations via word of mouth. Failing that look elsewhere.

Just the defected panels! There testimonies are good are good and all the photos look good etc.. But I'll look else where!

Really don't know whether I trust giving it back to the dealer?

Dealer wouldnt contribute anymore then £100 I don't think though.

What would you guys suggest? Anything else I can do?

For a detailer to charge £100 for a machine polish its too cheap and something thats more on a conveyancer belt.

Are you on facebook? Check out 'dooka detailing' and read the post about an £80 polish.
Checked thAt out cheers! It is dodgy!

Just not sure where to head from here

Aside from sorting out your issue, which will be easy to rectify......just find a trustworthy Detailer, highly recommend you have a good read through the detailing section on this forum for future care of your car. Even simple things like investing in some wash mitts and micro fibre cloths etc......never ever use a sponge. This is even more important on black, which will show any imperfections easily. With a few basic hints and tips, you'll easily keep your new pride and joy looking beautiful.

Reactions: Pulp84
We charge £150 for a enhancement,
That's a full wash 3 bucket method
Snowfoam
De tar
Clay
Machine polish
Wax or sealant
Glass protection (gtechniq)

£150 is about right and that will come with a single stage machine polish for a more thorough machine polish you're looking about £300 and for a full correction you're looking at £600

Most decent companies charge the same as us anyone too cheap and Id be very careful

A correction detail would be over 2 days. If you think you can get that done for £100 including materials. It works out over a fiver an hour. Not a chance would I be entertaining that. As no company can cover overheads for that. Only my 2ps worth.

It won't need full correction though probably just a few passes which can be done in a day full correction can take upto 5 days

It was only doing the defected panels as I said not to do the whole car, wasn't to dissimilar for other quotes I had.

However I've decided I'm just going to give it back to audi to sort out. Then it's all in their hands and I can't do anything wrong.

They said they'll pick it up on a trailer so won't effect my mileage and give me another car

I'll just have to thoroughly check it over before and after they return it

Reactions: Rob2k68
Be sure if Audi sort it then there not just going to use srp to 'fill' the scratches and give it back as they will appear again after a few washes.

I know it's hassle but I'd rather sort it myself and have the peace of mind it's done properly not the work experience lad being sent to Halfords with a tenner.

You sound like your being a bit too forgiving there mate if you don't mind me saying so.

If my panther comes in with those kind of problems in 6 wks or so I'll go absolutely ape, I don't care how reasonable the dealer is!

When your spending this sort of cash it's not much to ask for them to prep it properly ;)

Reactions: David83S3
Be careful with the dealer my dad scratched his 12 month old Range Rover a few weeks ago he booked it in with me for sorting in 2 weeks but it has been in for a service at Land Rover during its service they've tried to fix the scratch (they told him on picking up the car he had some sort of scratch and wheel insurance given free which he hadn't realised) anyway they've made the problem worse looks like a very old pad had been used and the area now looks very flat n dull! He's mentioned it to them that he's not happy and he's getting a pro detailer in so he's given them my details I've told them 400 and they're paying it! Just have to invoice them on completion with before and after pictures too! (Wouldn't mind been on Land Rovers approved list)

When you go back for your car, take a spray bottle with some diluted ipa or Any branded panel wipe. Give the affected panels a wipe(assuming there isn't a layer of dust sitting) it will take away any fillers in case they've just used a glaze to hide the marks