Cruise control increments

dts439

Reaction score
Hi All,

When increasing/decreasing the cruise speed using the lever it seems to be doing it in 2.5 mph steps. Is it possible to do it in 1mph steps (which is what my A4 did). This is a car with ACC.

Dave

+1. At higher speeds it's even less granular, from 120 km/h -> 130 -> 140 -> 150. You can prod the accelerator and click the set button to set an intermediate value but, like Dave I would prefer 5 km/h increments on the lever at those speeds. Possible?

With acc the increment values are either 2.5 or 5mph depending on your speed. You can set any other speed by pressing the set button while traveling at that speed

It doesn't make sense to adjust in such small increments with ACC - you don't need such fine control as you just set a stage higher than the car in front and the radar keeps you backed off.

You get 5mph increments above 40mph, 2.5mph increments below 40 (at least, you do on mine). As someone said though, you can press the set button at any speed to set the speed to any 0.5mph increment.

I get 2.5mph increments above 40mph. The manual suggested 5mph increments but I've yet to have that. I instead get 60 as a full red dot. Then 60 &65 as red dots but it's been set to 62.5. When I move it up to 65 then only 65 has the red dot.

It doesn't make sense to adjust in such small increments with ACC - you don't need such fine control as you just set a stage higher than the car in front and the radar keeps you backed off.

But if there's no car in front and you're travelling at the set speed, there's a big difference between 120 km/h and 130 km/h in the eyes of the local constabulary. Speed limits here are 100 km/h and they will usually tolerate 125 km/h but a steady speed of 130 will definitely get their attention. Also my winter rims are a slightly different diameter so when the speedo reads 120 I'm actually only going 117. I'm resigned to taking my eyes off the road to use the Set button I guess.

I get 1mph increments but if I hold the lever it will jump to 5mph increments. I don't have ACC though

I get 2.5mph increments above 40mph. The manual suggested 5mph increments but I've yet to have that. I instead get 60 as a full red dot. Then 60 &65 as red dots but it's been set to 62.5. When I move it up to 65 then only 65 has the red dot.

There must be some other option that does that then. The only time I can get more than 1 triangle to light up is when I press the 'set' button in between 2 of them.

But if there's no car in front and you're travelling at the set speed, there's a big difference between 120 km/h and 130 km/h in the eyes of the local constabulary. Speed limits here are 100 km/h and they will usually tolerate 125 km/h but a steady speed of 130 will definitely get their attention. Also my winter rims are a slightly different diameter so when the speedo reads 120 I'm actually only going 117. I'm resigned to taking my eyes off the road to use the Set button I guess.

Use the set button then. I don't think Audi are going to cater for your requirements to "speed, but not too much"!

I don't know what the increments are on a kph speedo anyway - are they 10?

Above 80 km/h the speedo is in 20 km/h increments. The lever benefits everybody because I don't have to take my eyes off the road to set a cruising speed. Very few people, even large trucks, travel at the 100 km/h limit because the highways were designed for higher speeds and originally had higher posted limits. They changed them to artificially low limits during the 1970's OPEC oil crisis to conserve fuel, and were never restored afterwards. Oh well, set button it is. In heavy traffic the ACC is awesome though!

Canadian 2015 S3 without ACC, and the cruise up/down is in 1km/h increments. including at 138km/h.

20kph increments seems very excessive - 5mph is the maximum on a mph speedo! Probably about 1/3 of the distance between stops.

Canadian 2015 S3 without ACC, and the cruise up/down is in 1km/h increments. including at 138km/h.
Hey, sounds like you got your car! Post some pics in the sticky thread, I'd love to see one on BC roads.

Reactions: syed123
The increments are set at 10 km/h. It would be convenient when driving at around 110 km/h to have it at 1 km/h increments when
you want to go up to 115 or 117 km/h, since radars will flash at 118 -120km/h. So jumping from 110 to 120 is just bad news.

Second thing is if there's a way to set the gap closer on ACC? Cause here people don't give much space between cars and the smallest settable distance is more than enough for someone to cut in front of you and have your car automatically brake and push you back, thus not getting anywhere. My previous 2003 Merc S500 with distrionic had a shorter gap on its closest setting. It was more suited to this part of the world.

There must be some other option that does that then. The only time I can get more than 1 triangle to light up is when I press the 'set' button in between 2 of them.

hmm all I can say is I am BW4 MY15, with comfort pack + ACC, I find it very handy to be able to increment via 2.5mph.

Hi Ebzy, welcome to the forum. There's a thread about setting the default ACC distance when the car is started but don't know if it's possible to change the minimum.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/acc-extra-menu-enable-with-vcds.197998/#post-1960264

I'm pretty sure the minimum can't be changed. I once read somewhere that if the advanced menu was enabled then all sorts of things could be changed, but those that have had it done have found it only allows the default setting to be changed, so I haven't bothered. Although I regularly drive on setting 2, as the default 3 is too much space, I rarely use 1. I agree that even on 1 some drivers will try to squeeze in, but I feel it it a little too close for the system to cope with the car ahead performing an emergency stop from 70+ mph.

In my car (No ACC - only cruise control) I can change the speed by 1km/h (single push). When I push and keep for 2-3 seconds it change speed by 10km/h.

Yes, standard cruise control does this, it's ACC that has the big increments for the reasons listed above.

My car ACC has 2.5mph increments MY2015 150ps COD s-rtonic my dads A3 also ACC MY2014 140ps COD S-tronic has 5mph increments only.

So it is something they appear to be tweaking from time to time.

There is a certain option that changes the speedo to a non-linear one (which mine has), but I'm not sure which option it is. I thought it was ACC itself. Under 40mph, increments are 2.5mph, above that it's 5mph, even though the space between these increments is identical. The speedo is effectively "double spaced" up to 40mph.

There is a certain option that changes the speedo to a non-linear one (which mine has), but I'm not sure which option it is. I thought it was ACC itself. Under 40mph, increments are 2.5mph, above that it's 5mph, even though the space between these increments is identical. The speedo is effectively "double spaced" up to 40mph.
I'm pretty sure when I suggested this a few months ago, someone without ACC said their speedo was also non-linear. I don't believe we got to the bottom of this, but I concur that with the ACC on my MY2014 car the increments below 40MPH are 2.5MPH, and 5MPH above.

I'm pretty sure when I suggested this a few months ago, someone without ACC said their speedo was also non-linear. I don't believe we got to the bottom of this, but I concur that with the ACC on my MY2014 car the increments below 40MPH are 2.5MPH, and 5MPH above.
I don't have ACC and my speedo is non-linear.