Remapping hel...

steveBull

Reaction score
Hi, I have an A4 B7 55 plate 2.0 Tdi 140.

It's done 105k I've owned it for a year. It's going in for a cambelt and major service on Tuesday. It's got an immaculate service record and touch wood nothing major has gone wrong. It drives like a dream at the moment. A friend keeps going on about getting it remapped stage 1 too 177bhp.

My concerns are because it's 10 years old and done 105k will expensive things start to break?

My wife drives it mostly as I have a van for work. She drives sensibly and I only put my foot down 20-30% of the time I'm driving it.

Is it actually worth it? How much performance increase will you actually get? I was chasing my mate in a 1.4 Tsi scirocco and he easily pulled away in 2nd gear and it's a 1.4!! It was only until I got too 60 in 3rd then up to 85 in 4th when I started to gain on him again, probably just because it's a bigger Diesel engine though.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking to keep the car for another year or so - maybe two.

Thank you

Hi Steve,

the performance gain is quite significant, if that's what you are after. The weakest point on these engines is the turbo. If a customer has reliability concerns on these, I will remap but maintain the standard boost pressure so as to not strain the turbo anymore. 170bhp is easily achievable this way.

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for that. Would not altering the boost pressure make the remap under perform at all? Or would it be the same if you did raise the boost pressure? The turbo was just an example not a specific concern.

Also how much for a remap and how much for a new turbo?

Thanks

There is no such thing as under perform as such. Yes, there is more power available with more boost, but most of the power can be had without.

A remap for your car from myself is £250. A new turbo - they are around £900 plus fitting.

Rick

I had my 170 tdi mapped a few months ago, 6 months later and no problems. Checked turbo shaft the oter day and no play at all or passing oil. Touch wood.
I'd get a pipercross panel filter too with the map.

As Rick says' also a good company will listen and meet your needs but AS reliability goes, if it's maintaned well there shouldnt be an issue other than if there is already a weak component like a sensor etc it will just spend up the process of it failing' if that makes sense