powdercoating front grill, is it possible?

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I'm trying an experiment this weekend to modify a s-line front grill, after doing some minor mods i will need to get it colour coded to my preference.
I know a lot of you guys use wrap, or similar, or just use spray paint, all are fine by me but i dont fancy doing it al over a few years later.
I used to have a lot of duke bits powdercoated and was curious wether it was possible to powder coat the grill to give it a longer and harder wearing finish.

rob

thanks for that, i wasnt sure to be honest hence the question, i was led to believe that there are differing processes that can be used on various plastics at low temp etc, but as you do a lot of mods etc like this i'll take go with your answer.
looks like a decent spray job then.
thanks

May be you can mate, not an expert but I do know they use an electric charge on say a wheel which attracts the actual powder then heat it to melt it. I suppose not all plastics melt and can take high temps but unsure how they'd get the powder to stick.
Go and ask the guys you'd be getting to do it I suppose would be your best bet, I know the guy I use doesn't do it as he wet paints centre caps etc to match the wheel.

If the paint will actually stick then the heat of the cure will more than likely distort the grill. The part to be painted needs to conduct for the powder to stick.

thanks for the feedback guys, all info taken in and absorbed, looks like wet paint then, which i supose does have the advantages of being easier to recover etc if it all goes pete tong.

thanks again.

I'm a powder coater/paint sprayer. It will melt unfortunately. Wet paint or wrapping/plasti dip as above.

Hydro dipping perhaps? Not sure if that is just for a textured finishes however e.g. carbon fibre effect.