Poor Starting

Ro55

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Any electrical tester whizzes out there who can explain to me how to test a glowplug in situe
i have an electrical tester but unsure what setting to use ect
Start from cold is lumpy and smokey for a good 20-30 secs runs beautiful after that.and once warmed starts fine.
only like this on 1st start after being stood for a long period.

Or any other things i can check,
VCDS is being ordered

Thanks

Probably completely unrelated but mine used to occasionally be reluctant to start until some clever dude on here suggested turn the side lights on before turning the key. Since then it always starts with a flick of the key. Like I said probably not related but tomorrow try it!

Reactions: dale86
It's unlikely to be the glow plugs as they are really only needed at extremely low temperatures. You can test for continuity in-situ between the negative battery terminal and the positive terminal of the glow plug. If it shows the same voltage as your battery is holding then they are generally good.

I've had a sluggish starting problem for a while that is pretty similar, usually a bit worse in the summer than winter. I changed the CTS which I've read can affect starting, to no avail. My plugs are all good, though I've got a full new set that are going in when I get a deep socket narrow enough.

Through reading about I'm pretty sure it's actually down to the pump timing, if it's not spot on then cold starting can be affected leading to longer cranking & smokey starts. I've got VCDSLite but the TDi timing pluggin is extra for the V6 diesels, another job I've not got round to yet!

Frank

P.S I also read about the light switch trick BakPak mentioned, though it didn't work with my car

Tried the light switch thing no avail.
I did think about fuel pump?
Then if its timing how do you find out?
With vcds?

Thinking about the timing on the pump, wouldnt it always start rough if it was that?

Apparently the pumps have a few degrees of adjustment that can be carried out automatically to advance the timing when needed, for the likes of starting. At least that is the case for the VP44 pump on the V6. If the timing is just out by a degree or two then it can compensate but be rougher than it should.

It's about all that I've not checked personally. Having been through the plugs, light switch, CTS, fuel lines checked for air bubbles, cams aren't worn. Don't think I've missed anything, hopefully.

Pump timing can be checked with VCDS in the engine measuring blocks.

Frank

I think the 1.9 is the same, with pump adjustments, i have changed CTS and stat. It seems to be getting worse too.
Finding it hard to get hold of a vcds lead at the minute best i get it plugged in before i start throwing money at it.

I got a genuine Gendan one for £20 and use VCDSLite, it does most stuff I need it to and can upgrade for $99 to get more features. It's a really useful tool to have.

Frank

Ive been told the only way is ross tech vcds lead

For the full-on £250odd kit to do everything. Gendan are a an authorised dealer in the UK. The KKL lead I bought for my B5 also works with my 2004 B6 and for £20 is worth a punt. Check out their website, service was top notch too.

http://m.gendan.co.uk/product_VAGUSB.html

Frank

Reactions: Ro55
Test the resistance of the glow plugs individually, pull the connector off each plug, and measure the resistance from the plug tip to earth (plug body).
Should read pretty low, sub 1 ohm.
They are all wired in parallel on the 1.9s, so if one is good you'll get a reading, three might be ********.
When its cold, the glow plugs will be held on for a while after the engine has started, to help combustion and emissions. So if they are ******** it might well be lumpy.
There is no injector pump on the 1.9s, they are the Pumpe Duse engines, although there is a measurement you can do with vcds, regarding the top cam pulley adjustment, its of a vernier style pulley, which will affect injection timing.
If glow plugs are dead, it won't show on vcds, on my 2001 at least, they are all just switched by a relay.

Probably completely unrelated but mine used to occasionally be reluctant to start until some clever dude on here suggested turn the side lights on before turning the key. Since then it always starts with a flick of the key. Like I said probably not related but tomorrow try it!
I'm giving this a try. Worth a shot!
I have a hesitant start on cold mornings when it's been sitting a while. Can be a bit smokey for 10secs more or less.

Also worth banging some Forte injector cleaner through , its the only 1 i ever use and is that good it clears blocked injectors. Demus is right on track with what he says. Im also pretty sure the glow plugs are pulsed rather than just on and off.

so cant be plugs? ive put a whole bottle of redex in a full tank on way back from london 70+
ill try some of that FORTE it keeps popping up,failing that ill remove them and send them off for a pro proper clean refurb.
it must be fuel related,but before any of that check with vcds the timing.but if it was timing surely it would be like it on every start?

Which Forte did you use,and wheres cheapest?

Also worth banging some Forte injector cleaner through , its the only 1 i ever use and is that good it clears blocked injectors. Demus is right on track with what he says. Im also pretty sure the glow plugs are pulsed rather than just on and off.

done that terraclean before load of crap,not on this car on another,2 times and it did ****** all.

When it 1st came out everyone raved about it,so i had it done...its slowly faded away not heard of really nor mr china lol

Amazon product

I guarantee it works. Used to buy 2.0 ltr vectras from auctions years ago , they would be only 12 months old but they were notorious for poor starting and eventually would'nt start at all , we used to stick a full bottle of Forte in the tank with 3 gallons of fuel and tow them , after about 500 yards they would begin splutter after a 1000 or so they would fire but rough, just enough to pull themselves along after a couple of miles they would be reasonable, as soon as we got them on the A38 and just nailed them in 3rd gear they cleared, It was 12 miles home and by the time we got home they purred . Also used it on Mondeo tdci's (notoriously ***** injectors), transits and it works like a dream everytime.

Have you tried getting someone to jet wash the car whilst you sit inside dribble spotting ?

yep,and theres no dribble. i needed a new screen as it was chipped,so may aswel take advantage. buying new pollen filter housing,and scuttle panel.

i have a sneaky suspicion its the pollen filter seal.as the foams damp.

is there any mods?

just watching this video,BONNET HINGE TRIMS!!! do audis have them because i dont have them.
1.03 in the video

you got a pic buddy because i reckon mines missing and the angle i park is somehow letting water in.

No trim on mine but you can see the screw hole in the bracket. 2004 Avant...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424723722359697

Reactions: Ro55
ive just bought some,and ordering the scuttle panel if i find the part number

cheers @frankc

i got the twin pack £23 give the turbo a clean too.
i dont think it will solve my problem though...was thinking of taking my fuel fiter off half filling it with the stuff? could it hyro lock though?

No Need Ross, make sure you've got at least half a tank of fuel and put the lot in the tank, label says only put so much but i always dumped the lot in and it worked, well it worked if the injectors or fuel system was the problem.

Then give the car a good thrashing the more load the better , infact there seems to be a lot of fat unemployed ppl doing nothing (according to the tv) so get 4 or 5 of them ,squeeze them into your car and go drive up and down the Malvern hills.

Reactions: demus