Audi Connect

Don't think mine has ever said "TMC Pro" but I have seen pictures of MMI screens with that on - although probably not A3s.

My experience is different.
I've not seen any additional traffic information/data on a Connect car, compared with a non Connect car, side by side.
And even compared it to the INRIX database.

I was driving on the M1 yesterday in traffic and the nav showed that I was in a traffic jam. Then the boy started moaning that the WiFi had died, I looked at the Nav and the "ONLINE" had changed to TMC and according to the nav I was no longer in a traffic jam but I was. My data had run out so I was connect-less. It's not cast iron proof that's there additional traffic data with Connect, but it's close.

I like Connect and think it justifies the cost. WiFi is useful (you could do the same with a smart phone, but it's a faff), the online traffic data is OK, but not as well integrated as a TomTom. The Google searching is great, TomToms used to have this then they fell out and did their own which is ****. I have checked Twitter a couple of times too.

I'd tick the box again.

Reactions: The Challinor
BTW I've seen TMC and TMCPro before when I've been out of data.

Reactions: Cymru09 and The Challinor
Very occasionally when've been out of data TMC pro has appeared.

I know it's not conclusive but I do generally seem to find there are more traffic issues when I'm connected online. Could be pure coincidence, or it could be the online traffic info is better

Reactions: The Challinor
Testing and comparison required.

TMC won't get all the info instantly, it's a low bitrate transmission.

The way to compare it is to set 3 or 4 routes, and compare the traffic info along each route.

At the end of the day both delivery methods reference the same identical INRIX database, so what, if anything, is discarded or added?

From memory 1 is subscription based, and only used by certain countries.

I'll just leave this here

0D944B24-BB89-4FB5-A98C-12F20573A6C7.jpg

Jolly good :)

Now you're in the perfect position to set a route, compare the traffic info on that route with TMC Pro, then pop the SIM back in!

Reactions: glospete
Putting the SIM card back in added 10 mins to the journey. I didn't get a pic though unfortunately.
I'm still sat on the A13 going no where though >_<

I have a new theory.... When I took the first photo below, I was stuck in some fairly nasty traffic and the red hatching was shown on the route to signify a delay (it doesn't look hatched on the photo but it was). When I checked the traffic screen (second photo) there was no sign of this particular jam. So, I was wondering if the online traffic gives you more info but it only appears on the map, not on the traffic display.

20150317 184927 resized

20150317 184947 resized

Reactions: veeeight
Can I ask how much data you get through using google maps along with the TMC Pro? Also does google maps look prettier too? :)

I get through about 2gb a month, but quite a lot of that is WiFi use (which is great due to the reception the car gets). I don't think Google maps chews up much as most of it is cached, and it does look a lot prettier. Having said all that I have my mobile stuck to my dash and use Waze that is miles better than the built in sat nav.

Ok I've just bought a sim. I've noticed that where TMC was is now been replaced with "online" should I have TMC Pro too? I have the tech pack with connect too.

Nope. Online is what you want to see. You see TMC or TMC Pro when you've run out of data or remove the SIM.

If you look at the pictures I posted a few posts back you'll see online only. You can also see what I'm talking about with the improved mobile reception. The cars connection is full LTE and my phone is much lower, it's almost always like this regardless of network. The car is a giant aerial.

I vaguely remember having to accept some license in the settings to get the traffic data, but I think if you see online you've already done that. Have a look through the settings just in case though.

It's mentions that my license expires March 2017. The car will be 3 years old. How do I renew this at this time?

Question, is there anyway to stop the car asking me to ok the data connection each time I turn the car on?

It's mentions that my license expires March 2017. The car will be 3 years old. How do I renew this at this time?

Yes there's a setting on the MMI which you can set so that it doesn't do that each time. See the attached image. It's the Connection without request you need to set.

3ea6c0551c9ef5430e965da715575d23.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok cheers, any info on the licence expiring after 3 years? I assume it simple to renew?

Yes there's a setting on the MMI which you can set so that it doesn't do that each time. See the attached image. It's the Connection without request you need to set.

3ea6c0551c9ef5430e965da715575d23.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok cheers, any info on the licence expiring after 3 years? I assume it simple to renew?
I assume a dealer will need to do it for you. You may have had enough of it by then... just a guess.

Can I ask how much data you get through using google maps along with the TMC Pro? Also does google maps look prettier too? :)

I just checked my data usage after a year of use, I only use it for google maps have never bothered figuring out the wifi hotspot. I started with £10 credit, I now have £7.85. To be honest this seems so low that I'm concerned its not working properly.