Haldex Problems: Front Wheel Slip, New Pump, Repaired Earth Wire

Longitudinal

Reaction score
This is my first post here. I have been struggling to get to the bottom of a lack of rear wheel assist on my 2002 TTQ 225HP. Here are the facts:

1) When I am driving the car, there is no discernible assistance from the rear wheels. On hot, dry pavement, the front wheels will bark and hop under full throttle in first and second gear. On snow, it's a catastrophe--barely any acceleration with the traction control light flashing away.

2) The car spins the rear wheels when all four wheels are off the ground and the car is run in gear.

3) I do not have a VAGCOM, and would like to avoid spending $350US just to fix this problem because the problem itself is probably not going to be cheap to fix.

4) Precharge pump is new. Replacing the pump DID make a difference. Before I replaced the pump, the rear wheels would not spin under their own power at all. Now the rear wheels spin, but they aren't helping to prevent or reduce front wheel slip under load.

5) While I was replacing the pump, I found the broken earth wire and repaired it by building something three times heavier than what was there.

Has anybody experienced massive front wheel slip with a good, functioning precharge pump? The pump seems, in most cases, to be the first suspect.

An additional thought:

Here's a note from a VW Vortex user regarding the controller:

Haldex controller? self test said it was ok but i took it apart and found that the shaft with the rack of gears that engages the pinion gear of the stepping motor that controls the hydraulic pressure delivery to the hadex clutch, had rotated enough in its bore so that it no longer engaged the stepping motor so there was no hydralic pressure delivered to haldex clutch. I rotated the shaft and reassembled the car...up on the jacks...started the engine...engaged 1st gear and released the clutch and almost cried as all four wheels were rotating!!

Could a controller cause my symptoms considering that my rear wheels DO spin with the car lifted?