A4 B7 List of Affordable Modifications/Upgrades/Retrofits

Guys remember to register your car on the obd2 apps your using eg torque pro or dash or rev because it won't be calibrated right for your car, that's why it shows stupid readouts,

With torque remember to download the plugins aswell,
Shift selector
Torque scan
Torque doctor
This will also then show you dash codes remember to run it for a few MINS
and you can clear them with the same tool,
Hope this helps,

Reactions: Sid2go
Handbrake Button Retrofit

Not sure if this really qualifies to be included in this thread. However if like me you have a ruined old metal handbrake button that's not available to buy a replacement for, then you can retrofit (bodge!) a replacement plastic button from the new revision handbrake unit.

Rough guide below...

New revision button

Remove (butcher) old button off (it's glued on with what appears to be something similar to silicone sealant)
image-jpg.54005

Cut tabs off end of new button
image-jpg.54006

Cut end of handbrake down so new handle fits over it
image-jpg.54007

Fit new button in place and glue to hold.
image-jpg.54008

Job done, so far so good for me as it seems to be holding in place just fine

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro
FOG LIGHT SURROUND MESH UPGRADE

Get hold of any mesh that suits your taste. I tried to find the closest match to RS4 grille mesh that didn't cost the same insane amount of money as real thing. My mesh cost approximately £20 from ebay. Also had surrounds sprayed gloss black which bumped price up a little.

Cut it to shape and fix to front of, or the or rear of surround (I decided on front) and there you have it, far nicer looking fog light surrounds and has added bonus of stopping crud blocking air flow to intercoolers :)

View attachment 50832

Hi SDHA4Sline,

This is an excellent mod! Good going. Im planning to buy honey comb mesh to (like yours) and do this to my B6 Cabriolet. A little advise...did you completely cut off the old design, just leaving the squarish frame? Then I presume, you just stick the mesh inside the frame?

Or did you leave everything intact and cut the mesh to shape, simply sticking over the top..or behind? Im might just be the 1st ever B6 Cabriolet owner with a full 'RS' style grill :D

Any advise would be great.

Reactions: Ianski68
Hi SDHA4Sline,

This is an excellent mod! Good going. Im planning to buy honey comb mesh to (like yours) and do this to my B6 Cabriolet. A little advise...did you completely cut off the old design, just leaving the squarish frame? Then I presume, you just stick the mesh inside the frame?

Or did you leave everything intact and cut the mesh to shape, simply sticking over the top..or behind? Im might just be the 1st ever B6 Cabriolet owner with a full 'RS' style grill :D

Any advise would be great.

Hi,

I wish I could take credit but I copied Ajax1976.

Everything left intact and mesh cut to shape and stuck on top. One thing to bear in mind with this mod is it makes it a little awkward to reach the tabs behind when you want to remove the surrounds in future. A small thing but worth mentioning.

I also had mine sprayed to blend it all in, in an attempt to make it look a little more OEM so not obviously modified

Hi,

I wish I could take credit but I copied Ajax1976.

Everything left intact and mesh cut to shape and stuck on top. One thing to bear in mind with this mod is it makes it a little awkward to reach the tabs behind when you want to remove the surrounds in future. A small thing but worth mentioning.

I also had mine sprayed to blend it all in, in an attempt to make it look a little more OEM so not obviously modified

You can still have the credit..I too will also be copying Ajax1976 for a mod or 2. :icon thumright:

Thanks for the additional info. Upon looking at my vents, any ideas on how to tackle this? Cant figure out if I need to do more than cut mesh to shape and stick over (below pic)

Sorry for the post hijack

audi-a4-b6-cabriolet-ns-left-bumper-grill-fog-light-surround-new_5103522.jpg

You can still have the credit..I too will also be copying Ajax1976 for a mod or 2. :icon thumright:

Thanks for the additional info. Upon looking at my vents, any ideas on how to tackle this? Cant figure out if I need to do more than cut mesh to shape and stick over (below pic)

Sorry for the post hijack

audi-a4-b6-cabriolet-ns-left-bumper-grill-fog-light-surround-new_5103522.jpg
Hi no worries about post hijack this is what forums are for... Asking for help etc:)

The grille pictures looks a different kettle of fish to mine, looks way too hard to cut mesh to fit. Do the normal Avant sline ones fit? If so I would consider buying some of them and doing the mod

Hi no worries about post hijack this is what forums are for... Asking for help etc:)

The grille pictures looks a different kettle of fish to mine, looks way too hard to cut mesh to fit. Do the normal Avant sline ones fit? If so I would consider buying some of them and doing the mod

Thanks! Yes, that's true :icon thumright:

I was hoping you wouldn't mention the difficulty involved as it really is a different kettle of fish (my B6 Cab) to the B7 grills.

Unfortunately the cabriolet's grills are all totally different to the S line, saloon & Avant.

Im still determined to give this a go, but just not quite sure how. A real head scratching moment.

Thanks for your help.:D

Thanks! Yes, that's true :icon thumright:

I was hoping you wouldn't mention the difficulty involved as it really is a different kettle of fish (my B6 Cab) to the B7 grills.

Unfortunately the cabriolet's grills are all totally different to the S line, saloon & Avant.

Im still determined to give this a go, but just not quite sure how. A real head scratching moment.

Thanks for your help.:D

I would try removing the fins then filling any gaps this causes before fitting mesh. I understand that's one hell of a fiddly job but maybe you could pick up a second hand set and work on them when you have spare time.

I would try removing the fins then filling any gaps this causes before fitting mesh. I understand that's one hell of a fiddly job but maybe you could pick up a second hand set and work on them when you have spare time.

Good advice, thanks. Im going to grab a pair of second hand grill inserts and doodle around with them. They will be my lab experiment.

Agreed, definitely need to remove those dated fins before deciding how to get the mesh in its place.

..Next step for you..DIY 'RS' stlye main grill. Or you could just buy an OEM one :D

Engine covers (battery, washer bottle etc) are about £60 for all 3... if you're interested in your engine bay

RS4 RARB is the best value mod you can do, about £120 from memory

Hello JJmurphy21187,

Ive heard about this mod being very popular, thanks for sharing.

Any ideas on cost to fit? I lack the skills to do this myself. Im also guessing a FARB is not needed too?

Any input will help.

Good advice, thanks. Im going to grab a pair of second hand grill inserts and doodle around with them. They will be my lab experiment.

Agreed, definitely need to remove those dated fins before deciding how to get the mesh in its place.

..Next step for you..DIY 'RS' stlye main grill. Or you could just buy an OEM one :D
Already have the RS4 OEM grille fitted :) glad I jumped in when I did as they have shot up in price again:mad:

yep, simple mods can turn out to be the best:icon thumright:, when my old bus gets returned to me its at the top of my too do list, ideal for when it's issing down and i need to get the woofers straight into the back without messing about .

Do yours get straight in Rob ? Mine stands in the ( relative ) shelter of the tailgate, no doubt grinning wryly, while I stand there like a pillock trying to encourage her into the back :mad:

No more mods, cheap or otherwise for me. In fact, I may be doing some un-modding before I part-ex it. If anyone fancies a set of LED rear light clusters for a B7 saloon, send me a PM.

Last edited:
No more mods, cheap or otherwise for me. In fact, I may be doing some un-modding before I part-ex it. If anyone fancies a set of LED rear light clusters for a B7 saloon, send me a PM.
I would have them but I'm skint at the moment, just had to spend for fortune on the boiler (hot water thing not the Mrs before you ask) :keule:

What's happened to that, it looks well bruised

Edit last post auto correct I've deleted

The car was for breaking and with not keeping everything nice and tidy took me 45 minutes to undo the whole console (seats are not in the car, glovebox missing and under steering wheel cover ) !
In my car i do not want to do that ! i will scratch something and then .... THANKS

Do yours get straight in Rob ? Mine stands in the ( relative ) shelter of the tailgate, no doubt grinning wryly, while I stand there like a pillock trying to encourage her into the back :mad:

well it's more of an "organised bundle" :keule:and that would be a more
appropiate description gary, they do get straight in but its not very orderly to be honest and by the time i get the towel out to dry them off if its wet "well its all gone a bit pete tong....:(
maybe with this mod it wont be quite so bad, well one can allways dream:02.47 tranquillity:

Reactions: gary_a4_quattro
BLACK AVANT ROOF RAILS

If like me you can't afford brand new special edition black roof rails why not buy a used aluminium set and have them sprayed or powder coated black. Can be done (in my case) for less than £100.

Reactions: Obnoxious Kids, Jason owen and Pedrödelabongo
BLACK AVANT ROOF RAILS

If like me you can't afford brand new special edition black roof rails why not buy a used aluminium set and have them sprayed or powder coated black. Can be done (in my case) for less than £100.
View attachment 55580
I like your topiary ball Steve, do you have a matching pair? :redface new:

just need to sort out those wheels now.;)
They're low down on my list as I do quite like the standard ones. Though I do keep changing my priorities on a weekly basis so if a good used set of anthracite (<-- is that how you spell it :think:) rotors comes up for a bargain price....

Cheap mod i did last week was to swap my rear passenger interior light unit for a b5/b6 spotlight/downlight version with red led lit buttons.

Cost me £10 on eBay and makes the world of difference when my little un has the light on in the back at night.

Cheap mod i did last week was to swap my rear passenger interior light unit for a b5/b6 spotlight/downlight version with red led lit buttons.

Cost me £10 on eBay and makes the world of difference when my little un has the light on in the back at night.

You can also retrofit the red led ambient lights into the B6 lamp, casts a nice red glow on the head of whoever's sitting in the middle of the rear seat:)

Can you supply part number? Interested in this one :)

You can also retrofit the red led ambient lights into the B6 lamp, casts a nice red glow on the head of whoever's sitting in the middle of the rear seat:)
would that be the same as the front ambient light unit?

Yes but it really is verging on being pointless. I like the front ones but in the rear they're almost non existent unless someone is sitting right under them, they turn red.