RS3 Conversion. Pre facelift DRL Bi Xenons to facelift DRL Bi-xenons, Just need coding?

lakers1234

Reaction score
I have nearly completed an RS3 conversion. My pre facelift headlights were Factory fitted DRL Bi-Xenon headlights. They already had the DRL function in them. I've been told by many people now that the Facelift DRL's are pretty much plug and play, but need coding. After putting the facelift DRL headlights in, I have realised that the DRL strip comes on for about 1.5 seconds, as soon as I put the headlights on, then goes off and the Normal xenon part works without the DRL strip.

Please see pictures, and is it just the coding that needs doing?

Picture 1 shows the car as pre-facelift

Picture 2 shows the car when I first put the lights on

Picture 3 shows how the headlights remain after about 1.5 seconds of putting them on (when the DRL strip turns off)

Thanks

Attachments

• 20140911_134702.jpg
    20140911_134702.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,037
  • 2015-02-12 16.18.38-1.jpg
    2015-02-12 16.18.38-1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4,869
  • 2015-02-12 16.15.31.jpg
    2015-02-12 16.15.31.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 1,178
Reactions: THQuattro
Yes it's just Coding that needs doing via VCDS. The coding at the minute the car thinks it has halogen 21w bulbs in so as soon as the leds come on there is not enough current being drawn and the canbus turns them off.

on VCDS you need to open
09 central electrics
Coding
Long coding helper
Byte 21
Drop down box needs to be changed from
05 Bi-xenon with separate DRL
To
06 bi-xenon with LED DRL

save coding and job done.

Reactions: lakers1234
Yes it's just Coding that needs doing via VCDS. The coding at the minute the car thinks it has halogen 21w bulbs in so as soon as the leds come on there is not enough current being drawn and the canbus turns them off.

on VCDS you need to open
09 central electrics
Coding
Long coding helper
Byte 21
Drop down box needs to be changed from
05 Bi-xenon with separate DRL
To
06 bi-xenon with LED DRL

save coding and job done.

Top man. This has helped so much. I will update you as soon as it's done.

Thank you dude

Aye that's some good work! I take it that cost a pretty penny to get there! Would love an RS3 front on my S3, but pre-facelift really puts me off trying.

Nice conversion !
Aye that's some good work! I take it that cost a pretty penny to get there! Would love an RS3 front on my S3, but pre-facelift really puts me off trying.

Cheers fellas. It's not done yet. I still need to put on the wheels, mirrors, roof rails, rear Led lights....... And I need to buy some lowering springs for it ;):audibash:

I'll be glad when it's all over. I will definitely post an 'RS3 Replica build thread' soon.

Reactions: Sayam
Looks not too bad... Need to source a better grill though.. Even a genuine 1, to picky buggers like me, it lets it down in my eyes!

Looks not too bad... Need to source a better grill though.. Even a genuine 1, to picky buggers like me, it lets it down in my eyes!

Thanks....That's positive criticism, I will take that on board. I haven't finished with it yet anyway.

Try some clear plasti dip on that grille

I have kept it Aluminium Matt like the rest of the Alu pack on the car. But I might get the centre part of the grill changed to a gunmetal grey colour to match the Rotors. As I think, the whole Aluminium grill, is a bit too much

I went through a similar absolute nightmare when trying to do what you are trying to do with the grill... If you have a look at my progress thread, you'll see exactly what I mean..

To cut a long story short, I tried everything and it still wasn't right, so gave in and bought a genuine grill and pound for pound 1 of the best purchases i've made.. Makes all the difference!

I went through a similar absolute nightmare when trying to do what you are trying to do with the grill... If you have a look at my progress thread, you'll see exactly what I mean..

To cut a long story short, I tried everything and it still wasn't right, so gave in and bought a genuine grill and pound for pound 1 of the best purchases i've made.. Makes all the difference!

This grill was actually gloss Black when I bought it off a friend, but it had a few stone chips on it, so I just got it done in aluminium....Can you send me a link of your progress thread please? Thanks dude

There you go... ;) have a read at that and you'll see exactly what I mean..

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/jackos-bluey-mk2-build-progress-thread-pic-heavy.226578/

Lol that bought a smile to my face... I see exactly what you mean, you were going through the exact same dilemma as I am now haha. To be honest with you, I'm not going to bother changing the grill now, because I know I'm going to be waiting for a while, for the one I want to come along... But, what would be much appreciated, if you could please tell me the paint code of the darker paint you used on the grill from xenonz Uk to make it look pretty much OEM. Thanks

To be honest I got it looking practically bang on OEM then sold it and bought oem haha.. I'll give you an idea of the process.. Its a bit long winded, but without a shadow of a doubt, the best you can get an aftermarket grill..

Gives a shout tomorrow through pm and i'll fill ya in.. Can hardly keep my eyes open just now :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 484