S3 Alternator Replacement

Gavin Hughes

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm hoping someone may be able to assist.

My Alternator has started to pack up and make some awful noises. (Bearing issue, I think)
I've bought a replacement from Euro Car Parts and started to fit it.

Have seen this guide which is helpful, (http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2553076-Alternator-DIY-1.8t ) However isn't specific to the S3 with additional pipework etc

I've got half way through and having issues with space, is it even possible to get the alternator out from the top or do more items need to come out first?

I thought it might make it easier removing the water bottle, but that is impossible! it's buried into the wing and not enough space to get it out.

Am I doing something wrong? (probably !!)

Thanks
Gav

Hi Jojo

Thanks for posting.
Seems to be turning out to be a bigger job than first thought :( Thought i could save a few quid and some time by doing it myself.

Ill take the inlet mani off tomoz after work and see how i get on. Is the belt easy to get back on?

by the way, nice save in vid! :D

Hi Jojo

Thanks for posting.
Seems to be turning out to be a bigger job than first thought :( Thought i could save a few quid and some time by doing it myself.

Ill take the inlet mani off tomoz after work and see how i get on. Is the belt easy to get back on?

by the way, nice save in vid! :D

I've not done it before and found it pretty straight forward. The belt is the trickiest part at the end.

All I can say, is what an **** of a job!

Started to take the inlet manifold off to find the brace underneath has got a rounded off allen bolt and no access to drill it.

Plan B
Have had to take the bumper and washer bottle out to get enough room to remove the alternator.
The batteries in my lights have died so have to try and get it all back together tomorrow.

Will also grab a new tensioner and belt as they have seen better days.
The noise may have been coming from the tensioner as the wheel makes some noise when I spin it by hand.

Does the alternator make a noise when you spin it by hand also?

I had mine changed recently, luckily I didnt do it, all I know is the person that did do it wasnt happy afterwards as he said it was a nightmare of a job!!!

Fiddly yes, nightmare, no. and I've not even had an experience doing it... Nightmare is trying to change the complete front suspension on a 10 year old Passat with a seized pinch bolt!

Reactions: Nilz
Job done! Car is back together and running as it should.

Looks like most of the noise was coming from the belt tensioner, so that got replaced too.

I had a bit of a nightmare with doing it due to issues with the intake manifold not coming off :(
Live and learn hey.

I would advise on removing the water bottle as this gives you a lot more room to get the alternater, tensioner and new belt on.
The bumper only takes 20 mins to remove.

Thanks for your advice guys :)