Oil Fumes/Smoke from back of the engine.

rhinopower

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Cranked it up today for the first time in a month to investigate my boost leak which looks like a loose clamp on the hose going to the dump valve, but as it warmed up i noticed puffs of smoke coming from the back of the engine. I'm guessing this will be the rocker gasket, or the turbo oil feed, but any ideas what to look at first would be great!

Typically oil leaks round there are from the rocker cover gasket

If its never been changed that you know of its probably needs doing regardless

<tuffty/>

Job for the weekend :) Does the gasket need any instant gasket on he corners to seal like some engines do, or just a dry fit?

Job for the weekend :) Does the gasket need any instant gasket on he corners to seal like some engines do, or just a dry fit?
Yep.... You will need only a thin bead of sealant on the corners and up and over the cams on the curved/bowed sections.
This is what I did and touch wood it's been fine/leak free for well over a year.

I used VAG Sealant the same as I used for my Sump.
Whilst it was off I replaced the half moon gasket (Tensioner gasket) aswell as it made sense.

Yep.... You will need only a thin bead of sealant on the corners and up and over the cams on the curved/bowed sections.
This is what I did and touch wood it's been fine/leak free for well over a year.

I used VAG Sealant the same as I used for my Sump.
Whilst it was off I replaced the half moon gasket (Tensioner gasket) aswell as it made sense.

Is changing the moon gasket difficult?

Is changing the moon gasket difficult?
Yes and No.... But I'm fairly good with the spanners.
It's just fiddly getting the gasket to sit right and back in whilst the tensioner is still in situ. You will need the tensioner tool to slacken off the chain which allows movement of the tensioner. Just enough to give some space to pop old gasket out and new one in.
Theres a guide on here somewhere that explains better.

Is there a guide around for doing the rocker gasket? I’m guessing a fair bit needs unbolting and removing to get it off.

Do you have to remove the charge pipe bracket to get the cam cover off? Started today but had to stop

Yeah the bracket needs to come off.
It's bolted to the metal bracket as shown below

Looks an obvioust spot at the back for it to be leaking from?

C612A622-6C0D-43F6-8B1A-9D7AC6CC8A76_zpslad4td8b.jpg

Reactions: mark_S3