If not an S3....

Nawaid

Just orderded Audi S3 Saloon S-Tronic
Reaction score
What would you buy if not an S3? I know I would go for a Mercedes C63 AMG (IF it was 4matic!)

I would probably buy a Fiesta ST to have some fun and another car for running about in tbh.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Mmm I don't know, wouldn't be a Golf as the mirrors make the car too wide for my garage doors.

Probably a skyline GTR. I would have to sell one of my kids first though as there is only 2 seats in the back

Reactions: RedDejavu
What would you buy if not an S3? I know I would go for a Mercedes C63 AMG (IF it was 4matic!)

Err, what?!

How is a C63 AMG in any way comparable to an S3? Totally different car that costs twice as much.

You may as well say "if I didn't buy an S3 I'd have had a McLaren P1"

Reactions: s3_trev and Pulp84
Seat Leon Cupra I guess or a new TT.

Err, what?!

How is a C63 AMG in any way comparable to an S3? Totally different car that costs twice as much.

You may as well say "if I didn't buy an S3 I'd have had a McLaren P1"
Was not really looking at other compatible cars. Love the C63 but wanted 4wd. Would have gone for the Rs4 but didn't fancy an estate (no kids, dogs, etc) and a new A4 is on the horizon to be followed by a new Rs4 no doubt. What I liked about the S3 Saloon was new car, new tech, hardly any on the streets, etc.

I know what you mean about considering the c63.

If i was not to get a s3.. There isnt really anything on the same "level" that i would be happy with and would push for a car that is a few levels higher. I.e a used c63/m3/rs5 which at few years old cost similar to a new s3. Just with a lot ... Lot higher running costs.

Not in the same class but I would probably go cheap and get a Focus ST for a while.

Was not really looking at other compatible cars. Love the C63 but wanted 4wd. Would have gone for the Rs4 but didn't fancy an estate (no kids, dogs, etc) and a new A4 is on the horizon to be followed by a new Rs4 no doubt. What I liked about the S3 Saloon was new car, new tech, hardly any on the streets, etc.

Ah ok. Mercs are horrid anyway :p

I know what you mean about considering the c63.

If i was not to get a s3.. There isnt really anything on the same "level" that i would be happy with and would push for a car that is a few levels higher. I.e a used c63/m3/rs5 which at few years old cost similar to a new s3. Just with a lot ... Lot higher running costs.
Yeah I agree. There are some lovely C63's for 30k but then you do get the higher running costs.

S1 ......actually almost went for it ....but seen an S3 at the dealers when i went to look at an S1 .....S3 won :)

Ah ok. Mercs are horrid anyway :p
Not a fan of the Sat Nav in the newer vehicles. Looks like a Mini IPad has been glued to the dash. What were they thinking

Reactions: LuisM, glospete, David83S3 and 1 other person
Not a fan of the Sat Nav in the newer vehicles. Looks like a Mini IPad has been glued to the dash. What were they thinking
I thought exactly the same,everything else is spot so I dunno how they could get that so wrong.

Yeah I agree. There are some lovely C63's for 30k but then you do get the higher running costs.

The C63 is a lovely car, I actually replaced this with a stage2+ S3

Believe it or not, the S3 gives a much better buzz to drive as the power is a lot harsher, I do miss the Merc though, just not a pair of tyres every 2 months!

S1 ......actually almost went for it ....but seen an S3 at the dealers when i went to look at an S1 .....S3 won :)
I looked at the S1, the only thing that put me off was the fact that every singe A1 I saw on the road was driven by a woman! So I figured the S1 is a womans girl racer car :)

But to answer the OP's question. I think after a quattro S3 the only move would be to a quattro TT. If I need something more sensible then this as it looks awesome: Lexus IS 300h

Would've been a Leon Cupra or a Volvo V40 T5 for me. Decided in the end that i fancied a saloon for a bit of a change and the S60 T6 is pretty rare.

Si.

lol, I'm lucky here, the wife just says "It's your money spend it on what you like" she hasn't even asked how much it's costing!!! The promise of a new kitchen sweetened the deal I think ;)

Reactions: Psyman79
I bought her a 6 month old Ibiza and she doesn't even have a licence yet so i think that must've helped with the S3. Otherwise would most certainly have been the Cupra. Not to take anything away from the Leon though, it's a great car just not so keen on the mk3 5 door styling, prefered the look of my mk2 Cupra.

Si :)

For a similar ish price I would go for a 435d (almost did) quick and great on fuel, look pretty decent (except the double pipe should be 2 single each side)

Other than that if I was going to be silly on the cash side, an RS4 or C63. Love the sound and look of both, but when you consider the cost difference and how much quicker they actually are in the real world, it's not worth it IMO.

My boss had an XKRS and that was epic...

The C63 is a lovely car, I actually replaced this with a stage2+ S3

Believe it or not, the S3 gives a much better buzz to drive as the power is a lot harsher, I do miss the Merc though, just not a pair of tyres every 2 months!
Damn that's pretty! Love the lip on it.

lol, I'm lucky here, the wife just says "It's your money spend it on what you like" she hasn't even asked how much it's costing!!! The promise of a new kitchen sweetened the deal I think ;)
Dude my wife has been badgering on about New York for over 2 years, so a week before I ordered the car I booked 7 nights for us. She was so chuffed, not only did I get no grief over the car but I even ended up buying a 55inch curved Samsung tv.

Reactions: Cleggy70, Jassyo06 and RYuill

Ha wow yes lucky man I've not told my wife yet she knows I'm looking to change but not a 20k car to a 40k car maybe have to plan something epic for Valentine's Day then break the news then !!

Good plan Nawaid - like the idea with the TV then you also get to enjoy it as well !!!!

break the news.... this must be a wife thing. My girlfriend just states "it's your money, what you do with it, is your business".

For me... I think it would have to be the RS3, I know its a bit more expensive than a basic built S3, but for my S3 configuration, they are in a similar price range.

Reactions: Rob2k68
break the news.... this must be a wife thing. My girlfriend just states "it's your money, what you do with it, is your business".

For me... I think it would have to be the RS3, I know its a bit more expensive than a basic built S3, but for my S3 configuration, they are in a similar price range.

What would everyone prefer a well spec'd S3 or a basic RS3? I was going to wait for an RS3 but again the extra cash for that increase in performance doesn't seem worth it to me. The sound......now that is almost worth it!

I think i'd rather have a well specced S3 saloon. Can always download the RS3 soundtrack and play it through B&O :)

Reactions: elpaulio
Have been waiting for the new type r for 2 years but there taking to long. There's nothing out there I like. After test driving a s3 I put my name down but not the best looking of cars but after ordering one I understand it's styling now. I was looking at Honda CR-V because of 0% apr. Went to look at evoque I always have fully loaded so price quickly creeps up they don't offer much deal. Oh wow have you seen new focus rs 350 400bhp awd only 30k ?:)/£-€\>¥

Golf R

Golf R

Golf R

Definitely a Golf R......

Dejavu? ;)

Reactions: veeeight
Before I bought my S3, I test drive an M135i and a 330d x-drive (was considering 335d but no demo available). There was nothing else really on my list apart from the Golf R in my price range.

I wanted something with 4 doors which excluded coupes etc. Looking at second hand I would say M3 or C63 but older cars and more expensive running costs.

The only cars that I really 'want', but breaking my 4 door rule would be a new RHD 5.0 V8 mustang, or an F-Type V8.

Seat Leon Cupra I guess or a new TT.

Well Rob i was in a new TT Black s-line TDI last week, i was well impressed,really torquey engine looks stunning inside and out really wide car, but still not sold on that virtual **** pit dash...love the heated seat/climate controls though uber cool

As to the posters Question,l was in 2 minds wether to keep my ST3 a bit longer 2 years old this March "which in all honesty is a very good car "has an amazing amount of gadgets when fully optioned" and get the new Focus RS this time next year.

The new Focus RS Should be the one to beat...... Audi dont make me regret it...lol

Reactions: Rob2k68
Porsche Cayman S (or GTS if I could justify it...), I'm regretting not getting the S tbh.. but need the room in the back at the moment

Have been waiting for the new type r for 2 years but there taking to long. There's nothing out there I like. After test driving a s3 I put my name down but not the best looking of cars but after ordering one I understand it's styling now. I was looking at Honda CR-V because of 0% apr. Went to look at evoque I always have fully loaded so price quickly creeps up they don't offer much deal. Oh wow have you seen new focus rs 350 400bhp awd only 30k ?:)/£-€\>¥

The new Type R will a corker if it stays somewhat true the prototype we seen last year,the new Focus RS power output is reckoned to be 346 bhp from the 2.3 Ecoboost engine as 4WD all will be revealed come Febuary 3rd when Ford make a official annoucement much like Honda done with the Type R.....owned a FN2 cracking drivers car

Conclusion from this thread is that nothing comes close to the S3 in that price/class.