Need some help

J4MMYz

Reaction score
Two things:

1. I swear I catch the interior lights for the buttons on the steering wheel/climate control come on and off once in a while at night. Has anyone experienced this? Just happens randomly, haven't actually caught it out yet but I see something out of the corner of my eyes, I'm sure they do it. Don't know why, but quite worrying if it's a loose connection....

2. I made a thread about wind noise, but still am unsure, I need a favour if anyone could be so kind.

I have the 3 door A3, and above 50MPH you can hear noise from the window, it sounds like the whole car is insulated very well, and the windows let a lot of noise in, (just a side note, at lower speeds, say 20mph you can just slightly hear the noise of the car going along, so you can hear it... sounds like the wind whooshing past, it isn't too noticeable.. but it's noticeable over cars i've owned previously but the A3 is so quiet otherwise i'd perhaps put it down to that, my girlfriend and mate have also mentioned they can hear it their side, so I doubt it's came out of the factory like that, and just happens to be on both sides also. Must be normal?
I've done a few personal inspections, the seals on the outside that touch the chrome trim are tight, and not showing any gaps - I ran a credit card from the interior of the car into the door and the seals are nice and tight, I can't feel any drafts around the area's either, I've tried putting the windows up & down. This is a car with only 700 miles on the clock and is nearly a month old, not sure if it's just cuz it's new and will get better over time, but cannot see how it would lol.

3. I know I said I had 2 problems, but thought i'd mention this one: theres something from the back, which over bumpy surfaces makes a noise, I've tapped around in the backseat and can't find anything that replicates the noise, infact everything is very well built and silent. My thoughts are to the tailgate - I'm not sure if my car has came out of the factory, being not adjusted properly around the boot & doors/windows. Eh, I guess i'm too picky at things that don't matter. It's brand new, might take a while to settle in, like the gearbox, as it once was very stiff but is now loosening up nicely.

If people with the 3 door could do me a massive favour, even if you have the 5 door (please let me know which one) when your going down the motorway at 70mph, put your ear as close as you can to the seals around the window at the top, tell me if you can hear VERY slightly some wind crackling through.

Thanks in advance :)

#1 Nope, never seen any lights go off whilst dark outside and with my lights on. In poor light, and you don't have your lights on, the dash lights will start to fade to give you a hint that you need to switch your lights on - but I guess that's not what you're talking about?

#2 I'm assuming you're not talking about normal wind noise that all cars generate? Of course the windows aren't soundproof and you can hear some faint noises outside, but nothing to indicate a problem or air/wind is entering the cabin. I've never had a car where it was completely silent.

#3 Not sure what noise you're describing, but is there anything loose in the boot? Have you checked that compartment with the jack?

The only noise I've experienced was the front passenger seatbelt buckle banging the side, which was an easy fix.

If you're concerned there's a problem, then just go to the dealer - they may have come across the issues before or might reassure you it's 'normal'. Otherwise, maybe post up a video as someone else may have the same problem, hard to know what you're hearing without hearing it for ourselves.

Number 1 yes!!!!
Like a flicker of all the interior lighting ( heating controls etc )
Thought I was going mad when I saw it but it happens a lot.

Number 1 yes!!!!
Like a flicker of all the interior lighting ( heating controls etc )
Thought I was going mad when I saw it but it happens a lot.

Not sure if it's meant to do that or its a loose connection, can't be if you see it as well. Maybe it's a software problem

I found the noise in the back, it's the joint from the rear arm rest card (Would be the door card but it's a 3 door so I have no idea what the name is) that meets the B piller, if I tap the parcel shelf you can hear it, not sure how I can stop it though

I have been trying to work out what causes it but I still have no idea.

At least I'm not the only one who has seen it.... Does seem rather odd though.