Turbo fault?

dave_s

Reaction score
My 2008 A3 2.0 TDi has recently been going into 'limp' mode on infrequent occasion. Usually when it gets a bit of welly to overtake, or long uphill under power - no warning lights on dash and always recovers after restart (just a pain in the a$$ to perform in traffic!). Been getting a bit of the 'siren' sound for a wee while, which I assumed was the old 'sticky vane' problem. Tried a couple of turbo cleaners through the tank and ran with 2 stroke added ( local independent recommendation!) for a couple of thousand miles to no avail.

Is this likely to need a recon turbo? Is it worth removing to clean it - or even try good old 'Mr Muscle' via the EGR?

Although fairly competent with the spanners, I don't have the room or facilities to remove the damn thing myself ( I'm told that you need a ramp to give you the room to remove the turbo via exhaust tunnel). on't fancy trying it lying under the car on driveway!

Any experience in this area appreciated. What would you suggest?

Thanks for the reply, Sayam. Looks like a job for this week , then!You ever tried this, btw?

Just after I bought my car it developed the police siren noise and the turbo was replaced under warranty with a recon unit. All was fine for about 200 miles before I went to overtake someone on the M25 and it went in to limp mode. Pulled over at the next services which was only a few miles away, restarted the car and all was fine again. Anyway as it was a newly fitted recon unit I took it back to the garage, and it turned out the problem was a faulty turbo actuator. Sounds like you may have the same problem!

They replaced the whole turbo on my car and it's been ok since.

Thanks for the reply, Sayam. Looks like a job for this week , then!You ever tried this, btw?

i've never done it on my car but my mechanic is also one of my best friends and we've done it a few times to other cars in our group of friends, namely a 1.9tdi golf mark 5 and 2.0tdi BKD audi A3, both with good results but the audi still needed a new turbo after few months

i think the mr muscle may not fix turbos too far gone but as a preventative measure every 50k miles or so should be ok

Thanks for the replies, guys. Definitely looks like Mr Muscle will get an outing this week and maybe a bottle of Archoil to follow . Worth a try at least!

Reactions: Sayam
Thanks for the replies, guys. Definitely looks like Mr Muscle will get an outing this week and maybe a bottle of Archoil to follow . Worth a try at least!

Deffo worth a shot.. Good luck!