2nd to 3rd crunch!

JonnyDerv

Reaction score
Apologies for so many recent posts, I'm trying hard to get my car just right. I'm going to give the maf and the throttle body a clean later to get it running right but something has been bothering me about the gearbox. It's stiff to get into reverse, dropping to second from third is hard, fourth to second is even harder but shifting from second to third at high revs is making a crunch. I figured it was me not used to the clutch and gearbox as I've only had the car a few days but it's starting to irritate me abit. After reading elsewhere and on here I'm worried it's the synchro! Is it just I'm rushing the gearbox and trying to shift to quick or is it likely to be a mechanical problem?

Any help is much appreciated

Can't offer any help on the gearbox, but I wouldn't recommend cleaning the MAF, have seen some threads where this caused issues.

Cleaned the maf, no problems, put the esp light on but went off after abit so it's all gravy.

There was recent thread about this, not too sure who but they were suffering from similar issues to yourself, very notchy gear changes, from what I remember they swapped vag oe box oil for top quality oil and it did the trick. Plus replacing oe dog bone bush for a power flex one might help.

When it comes to gearbox, it pretty much can be anything. The usual cheap suspects to rule out first are gear linkages (adjust the cables, it literally costs you nothing and you don't need to remove almost anything to do it), worn dogbone bush (could cause all types of issues that result an uncomfortable drive and replacing doesn't cost much at all), changing the gearbox oil (could solve issues or make it worse, either way if it gets worse then you know the gearbox has to come off. But it can also make the problem go away for x amount of time). If those don't help then I guess there is also the possibility that clutch has something to do with it (however since it's only those specific gears then I doubt it). Gearbox issues are a real pain to diagnose, so try the cheaper fixes first.