B6 2.0 reliability

Kev Boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering what like the 2.0 petrol A4 B6's are on reliability?

Any issues to look out for or avoid?

Cheers.

Want a diesel but they're ridiculous prices for a high miler even and 1.8Ts are hard to come by. Just cos this one was the right price.

Are the less reliable than the diesel or turbos?

This is the 4 cylinder model I'm looking at by the way. Not the 20v.

Reliable but never seen the point as it's not fast or economical, probably the reason they usually sell for 20p.

No issues with mine - 133,000 miles. New cover gasket, header tank - that's about it in terms of engine probs.

Not stunning performance, but just read all the posts about the problems with the (petrol) turbo version, and the endless posts about egr valve probs, turbo probs and particulate filter probs on those 'wonderful' diesels as they age. And of course the balance shaft problems as well.

I get about 34mpg overall, and while a little more 'umph' would be nice, it still gets me where I want to go at a decent rate. Running costs v a diesel must be broadly similar, given the difference in fuel prices.

And it's smooth, quiet and civilised. And yes, I've had diesels too. An a4 b7 which was rather nice. Although I expect it's balancer shaft / oil pump would have been amongst those that failed ----

Modern diesels are great - when they're working properly. When they're not, well, see above! When I was looking for the b6, I really wanted a 2.5 Quattro. Well, thank goodness I didn't find one of them, what with their fuel pump probs and chocolate cams. I'd lusted after a b7 2.0 diesel - and ever so relieved I couldn't afford one at the time.

All this said, the 1.9 diesel is a very nice car - and if I could have found one, I'd have bought it. The reality is that the 2.0 fsi petrol serves me very well.

Last edited:
My dad owned a 2.0 petrol B6. It wasn't bad, but it was a little sluggish and thirsty (especially with a multitronic box)