Does drive select stay where you set it ?

C2 DTN

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
My S3 comes in March and I am wondering if the drive select resets to auto every time you start the car ?

Cheers, that's what I hoped !

Although when you start the car in Dynamic the gearbox does reset to Drive rather than Sport on the Stronic models

Reactions: Feemy
This a well timed thread...

I set my drive select to individual with throttle to auto, and steering to dynamic. Other than switching to full dynamic mode occasionally these settings haven't changed in the 2 years I've had the car.

However, got in the car this morning, drove a few hundred yards down the road and it didn't feel 'right'. Checked Drive Select, everything had reverted to auto, and my Individual settings had also been reset / wiped. Very odd. I'm putting it down to a one off glitch but I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced this.

It doesn't stay where it is... it just reports that it does. As veeeight says, I and several others have found that if you have it in Dynamic or Individual with Dynamic set for the throttle, you have to cycle through the modes to actually enable it again, it resets to auto occasionally.

It is linked to the key too. So if you use the spare, you may find you are in a different driving mode.

It doesn't stay where it is... it just reports that it does. As veeeight says, I and several others have found that if you have it in Dynamic or Individual with Dynamic set for the throttle, you have to cycle through the modes to actually enable it again, it resets to auto occasionally.

So it looks like its still in dynamic but it isn't. Thats stupid ! i would be better if it selected auto itself and you had to change it. At least that way you would know

Reactions: AudiNutta

Just to clarify, if I have it set to dynamic (well specifically dynamic on throttle through individual) when I restart the car do I have to do the full cycle of drive select (i.e. go through all the modes and back to individual) or does it suffice to just press drive select once to show individual in the display again?

I don't actually know this, I've always cycled them. I've not tried pressing once, an experiment for next time I think.

So it looks like its still in dynamic but it isn't. Thats stupid ! i would be better if it selected auto itself and you had to change it. At least that way you would know

Agreed. There's nothing in the manual about this behaviour either, seems like a bug to me.

I want to ask you if the Car is at Dynamic Mode the consumption is the same ?

Pretty much. It isn't different enough for me to notice over my normal changes day to day anyway. Eco mode is worse, because you are always flooring it more to get the performance you want, overcompensating as it were. I find eco mode useful for limiting the power you put on the ground in snow or ice conditions, makes control easier to me.

I've done a few full tank tests and for me, I get the same consumption in dynamic as I do in economy if I drive to get max fuel economy in both modes.

Just to clarify, if I have it set to dynamic (well specifically dynamic on throttle through individual) when I restart the car do I have to do the full cycle of drive select (i.e. go through all the modes and back to individual) or does it suffice to just press drive select once to show individual in the display again?

Old thread but did you do any testing on this? Like you I have my individual set to dynamic too. Did you have to cycle through all the modes and back to individual? Also by cycling through them did you select each one and wait a second for each mode to take effect or did you simply keep pressing the DS button?

Last edited:
got in the car this morning, drove a few hundred yards down the road and it didn't feel 'right'. Checked Drive Select, everything had reverted to auto, and my Individual settings had also been reset / wiped. Very odd.
Had you by any chance changed to the other key? The Individual settings are stored per-key so they can be different for each driver.

Not had my S3 long, but I use Individual 95% of the time. Set it up "just so" when we collected the car; then some point that same day they'd magically reset. Then realised I'd changed key fob during a stopover...

You have to cycle / select a mode after bringing up drive select as the first click just shows you the more it is in. On the facelift, it comes up on the MMI screen not in the dash and if you click and say for example it's on individual, you can use the MMI dial to scroll up and down instead of constantly pressing the button 5 times. Or, if you are happy with individual just press select on the MMI control and it selects the current mode.
It's my routine, get in, start, lock garage (delay on MMI :( ), then drive select and select individual with a single press on the dial, gearbox goes into sport so I pull back on that to put it back into drive. Oh yeah, start stop off ;)
Start stop is the worst on this car, cutting out before you've even stopped.. dangerous and nothing less!! I might mention it to Audi.

You have to cycle / select a mode after bringing up drive select as the first click just shows you the more it is in. On the facelift, it comes up on the MMI screen not in the dash and if you click and say for example it's on individual, you can use the MMI dial to scroll up and down instead of constantly pressing the button 5 times. Or, if you are happy with individual just press select on the MMI control and it selects the current mode.
It's my routine, get in, start, lock garage (delay on MMI :( ), then drive select and select individual with a single press on the dial, gearbox goes into sport so I pull back on that to put it back into drive. Oh yeah, start stop off ;)
Start stop is the worst on this car, cutting out before you've even stopped.. dangerous and nothing less!! I might mention it to Audi.

I've quickly become accustomed to pressing the DS button 5 times now!!

How do you find the difference? :D

Like driving a new car mate. It's like chalk and cheese. Really happy with how responsive the car feels.