A4 CAB ROOF FAIL....

Weverall

Reaction score
SO....

I had my first experience of the dreaded roof not closing on my cabriolet.. scares the daylights out of you with the thought of repair costs...

eventually got the roof unclipped and back into its position closed...

but then tried the whole bring it down and back up again which has not corrected the problem..

now it only opens say an inch... and before that, the warning light flashes 10x when starting the car?

Now.. i have read somewhere that either could be the roof motor OR the need for a battery charge to boost it back up?

any ideas?

Most likely to be the main hydraulic pump motor causing the problem if the front header unlocks and lifts an inch or so. Best to check if the pump motor is energised after the front header rail (at the screen) has opened to its 1st stage.
Remove the 'carpet' trim (offside) in the boot compartment to gain access to the hydraulic pump assy. Carefully push a couple of lengths of wire into the connector (avoiding bare wires and potential shorts!) that feeds the motor (thick black & thick red iirc), run them out thru the boot, closing the boot lid, then test with a test light or meter as the roof switch is operated The motor becomes energised at the point where the front section opens away from the screen. Also will energise momentarily as the roof is closed and the front header locks down.

Theres a thread on here that details refurbing the motor, or replace the motor (around £180.00 plus the dreaded vat)
Hope that helps, Cheers Gary

I saw this thread... and as much as id love to give it a go.. my technical knowledge is terrible... doesnt look too bad.. but would be ridiculously worried! lol

Got a 1 yr warranty through VW as it was bought from there... going to drop it off over weekend to see what they do/price me for it?

I doubt they will offer a repair, only a replacement motor. Granted this will most likely fix the problem, but doing the mod as described on the thread should have the same end result.

If you're anywhere near Leicester, give VagPro a PM and he should be able to fix it for you for less than the cost of a new motor...

I doubt they will offer a repair, only a replacement motor. Granted this will most likely fix the problem, but doing the mod as described on the thread should have the same end result.

If you're anywhere near Leicester, give VagPro a PM and he should be able to fix it for you for less than the cost of a new motor...

Nowhere near Leicester i'm afraid, over in Northern Ireland,
Work in a Peugeot garage, getting one of the mechanics to run his Snap On diagnostics reader on to it to check out the fault codes if any..

hopefully hear after that :)

I used the motor repair thread on here last year....saved my life of dread, ****** brilliant topic for which I am every greatful, went again a few months after and a quick strip down, (half hr max) found it to be dirty again, cleaned and blasted with WD until ran clean. Hopefully all will be well for the spring.