AUDI A3 2010MY RNS-E ISSUE

dark_adek

Reaction score
Hi all, I need some help with my RNS-E navigation model 193B media.
I did a retrofit of a radio CHORUS II+ with parts list below:
000 098 652A 1.5m female to female Fakra cable
000 098 692 30 cm male to male Fakra adaptor
8P4 035 225B Upper antenna amp
8P4 035 225 Lower antenna amp
1C0 973 119B Three pin connector housing x2
000 979 009 Repair wires x3
Everything worked great, no more faults in VCDS until now.
I had to remove RNS-E in order to replace the laser. Then I connected to it the PC power supply 12v rail, and checked whether it’s working or not before I put it into the car. Everything worked great so I decided to install it. After went through VCDS checking procedures, one fault came out:
Address 37: Navigation Labels: 8E0-035-192-RNSE.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 8P0 035 193 B HW: 8P0 035 193 B
Component and/or Version: RNS-E PU EU H04 0220
Software Coding: 0205715
Work Shop Code: WSC 00365 211 83536
VCID: 2F69178FC5DD
1 Fault Found:

00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier
011 - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101011
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 161
Mileage: 255503 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.11.27
Time: 14:42:13

Freeze Frame:
Mileage: 255500 km
Count: 2711
Clock: 14:41
I tried to clear it but without success, so next step was to do some fault isolation.
I replaced both amplifiers, upper and bottom, checked wirings with millimeter.
Everything is working great but fault still exists. Last thing I did was to check whether navigation is feeding the antenna amps with power or not. The measurements are, on HF RF in, there is about 10.6V and on ZF out about 3.6V.
Can someone help me in this issue, and check what proper voltage should be there or maybe I’ve miss something ? I appreciate in advance.

I know when I did this on our first S3 I had the same fault code
I had to change the antenna module located in the rear tailgate for a dual fakra one this cured the problem.

I think I got mine from Kufatec.

I know when I did this on our first S3 I had the same fault code
I had to change the antenna module located in the rear tailgate for a dual fakra one this cured the problem.

I think I got mine from Kufatec.
Which one do you mean, what p/n?
I've already repleaced both antenna amplifiers located in rear tailgate.
It didn't help at all.
I have RNS-E navigation system with diversity antenna modules now.

Last edited:
I did it a few months ago and everything worked fine without faults. Retrofits doesn’t throw this fault up.

I did it a few months ago and everything worked fine without faults. Retrofits doesn’t throw this fault up.
Did you do the aerial mods as NHN suggests ? Radio reception is poor on mine which is a common issue on retrofits from symphony 2 to RNSe. It is a long standing issue as well as the volume fluctuation and being too loud when you switch it on. Loads of threads on here about it

Search for "imminent RNSe install" all the answers you need on this thread. For me NHN is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful guys on here and as you can see from the thread you search for the error codes are the same. I gat them in my 2012 8p but everything works perfectly. Like I said the original poster has nothing to worry about, but will probably suffer with the volume issue, poor radio reception and high volume on switching it on everytime

I've just read this thread but there is no solution for my issue. :(

What exactly is the fault. You have said it merely throws up a code. You have hinted that it works okay in your first post or is it malfunctioning in some way

Let us know

Below is the fault which still persist even after clearing. The problem is that ZF switching doesn’t work at all and I think due to this fault “00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier 011 - Open Circuit”
Reception is good enough for everyday use but when I go out of the city it’s getting very poor. As I mentioned before, after retrofitting it’s been working like a dream without faults.

1 Fault Found:
00858 - Connection; Radio ZF Output to Antenna Amplifier
011 - Open Circuit
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101011
Fault Priority: 5
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 161
Mileage: 255503 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2014.11.27
Time: 14:42:13

Last edited:
Can someone check what is the voltage on ZF output from RNS-E at least for me?
I’m appreciate for that.

Anyone ....? What is the correct voltage on ZF antenna output? I’ve checked in my RNS-E, and I’m not sure they are right.
This will help me to isolate the problem.

RNS E ZF and IF outputs

I need some help from somebody who know electronics well.
I figured my problem out, but I don’t have enough knowledge to make this work.
I had connected a millimetre like on the photo below (everything was connected in the car, antennas, power, etc.) and ZF – open circuit fault has gone.

RNS E ZF and IF outputs

I need some help from somebody who know electronics well.
I figured my problem out, but I don’t have enough knowledge to make this work.
I had connected a millimetre like on the photo below (everything was connected in the car, antennas, power, etc.) and ZF – open circuit fault has gone.

View attachment 47471
hello did you fix it your problem?My one A3 2011 8pa i also did diversity in my rnse but still throw code 00858 radio antenna.Can you help me out from this problems?Thankyou indeed.

You have only two options. I think that 12v must be for both antennas - (the center not the edge). Measure the output terminals of the antennas on the radio and then do not disconnect the antennas from the radio but at the amplifiers and try to measure if 12v is going there as well. It's called phantom power (audi,seat,skoda,vw) Rnse must put 12v into both, if you were to use a Chinese radio, you must put 12V into the antennas separately. I think that RNSE can choose the antenna test in the menu and thus also the quality/strength of the signal plus the number of active-functioning antennas.

For test: Turn radio on and when boot:
press NAV for 1sec after
upper left soft key for 5 seconds
upper right soft key for 5 seconds
not all at once first left then right
inside find something like audio/tuner
GOOD LUCK
If I'm wrong, someone correct me :)

Attachments

• rns-e.png
    rns-e.png
    269.8 KB · Views: 69