Side lights

Pec0

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I run a slightly older 1997 3 door A3 dream machine in a beautiful marginally dulled silver. I'm looking for a little help with my non functioning side lights.

Both passenger side, front and tail, side lights are no longer coming on.

I'm not sure how long this has been the case but it passed an MOT without issue only last month. (Not sure if functioning lights are part of the MOT but I assume they are). I've replaced bulbs both front and rear with no effect. Also swapped fuses but again no effect.

The tail is obviously a double element bulb, providing brake and side lights in one. The other element, which powers the brake light works perfectly which means there is clearly power getting to the bulb, however the side light element within the same bulb isn't coming on.

Can anyone suggest anything else to try?

FYI, went to Halfords who re-ran the driverside power to the passenger side within the fuse box. Not sure how good or permanent a fix that is but at least I'm now road legal.

I had the same problem with my dip beam it done my head in for months it turned out to be the switch in the car. If you have got a multi meter check to see if there is any power running to the side lights if not get on eBay and get your self a second hand switch costs about £20.

Oh the actual switch itself. I see. I do not understand how that could be my issue however without any real mechanical or electrician knowledge it quite possibly could be.

Luckily the Halfords guy has got power to it albeit perhaps not exactly by a recommended method.

Oh the actual switch itself. I see. I do not understand how that could be my issue however without any real mechanical or electrician knowledge it quite possibly could be.

Luckily the Halfords guy has got power to it albeit perhaps not exactly by a recommended method.

I fort the same thing about my switch couldn't see why everything els was working but the dip wasn't I checked everything had fuse board out tracked all the wires checked all earth points all fine. I did the same thing and looped a wire from the side lights to dip so I had power but its not a good fix to have on for any length of time because the wire gets hot and starts to melt but if they were working fine before and now there not and u have checked bulbs and fuses the only thing left is the switch witch is a common problem on 8l's.

Cheers for the help all the same. Happy with the fix meantime. Switch next if it happens again.

i've had problems with my switch before, took the lower trim off the dash and the plug was a bit loose some how, been working fine since for over a year!