Newby problem with pre facelift headlights help please?

sirbobalot

Reaction score
Hi bit of a head scratcher this one. I brought a 99 a3 8l 1.6l after sorting out a long list of problems it came with I am now down to just a few but the one that's had me steaming at the ears is the pre facelift lights. So I will start at the top.

I have not needed to touch the lights since I brought the car 2 months ago then a few weeks back I was out driving on one of many unlit lanes around where I live and just like that lost dip beam and side lights but full beam flashers still work so luckly managed to get home.

Had a look the next morning and it seems that some one who has owned the car before me has fudged the lights by pushing a wire from the side light bulb holder to the dip beam holder so the dip beam is dragging its power from the side lights. The wire had dropped out and that's why I lost lights. But if I leave this wire off the dip beam does not work side lights only so I have had to reconnect this wire but I have now soldered it in so I am not left in the dark again (no pun intended).

So my question is why would the dip beam not work as it is ment to without this jumped wire from the side lights ?

Also I have noticed the passage head lamp has a h1 full beam bulb in it. the right bulb but has a 3 pin connector to power it but only 1 pin connects to the back of the bulb strange I know the drivers side has a 3 prong bulb and the 3 pin connector fits perfect but I'm sure its the wrong bulb because it is held in by two screews.

So does anyone know what I'm missing hear as I'm stumped. The only thing I can think is someone has messed around with them and maybe changed the little loom in the headlight the bit that connects from the main loom to the bulb plugs.

Any help with this problem would really be appreciated as I am at a dead end here.

Thank you for taking the time to read this hope to hear from someone soon.

Looks bodged.. I'd just get a new set of lamps which won't cost much tbh. At least you know theyll work! The old ones aren't worth fixing

Hi thanks for the reply I was going to replace them with some nice looking new ones but I didn't want to go and get some and have the same problem as there is nothing wrong with the old ones just no power to dip beam its very strange iv checked everything switch ,fuses,earth points the only thing I'm not sure on is weather there is a relay for the dip beam. Thanks again for the reply.

I don't think there is a problem with the relays. I think it's down to whoever tried to bodge up the existing headllp wiring.. The new headlamp should eradicate the wiring mess because it connects straight to the loom.

Reactions: sirbobalot
I don't think there is a problem with the relays. I think it's down to whoever tried to bodge up the existing headllp wiring.. The new headlamp should eradicate the wiring mess because it connects straight to the loom.
I will have a look at some new lights and see how it goes thank you for the help.

Problem solved turned out to be a faulty switch brought a new switch ripped the bodged wires out of the headlights and hey presto job done thank you all for the replys.