Should I keep my S3?

Mik

Reaction score
Hi, I have a dilemma. I have an S3 2001 reg which I love, having done 200000 miles but still going relatively strong. However, some recent issues have made me wonder whether it is worth keeping. Some faults include:
Oil leak (from rocker cover gasket, but garage advised it was probably pressure build up elsewhere and need an overhaul) however, I can top up each month, costing about a tenner
Both doors becoming difficult to close as the latch is stopping catching
Dial on the dial giving poor readings - temp and petrol gauge go up and down and the mpg display becoming pixelated.
I love the car, had it for years, but wondering whether it's time to cut my losses.
Any opinions would be great

It's worth absolutely peanuts with that mileage and faults.

So if you even have a slight twinge that you don't want to sell it then keep it, because the money you will get back for a 200k S3 with issues won't even buy you enough beer to get over it :(

You'll have much more fun with the car than the cash :)

I have just come out of the same situation on my high mileage S3 and I ended up stumping up the cash to get a new head fitted after I had a head gasket failure + a few other little bits needed fixing as well.

I suppose it comes down to your situation.....I knew there was no way I would sell the car as a whole as I couldn't see anyone would pay what I'd be pepared to let it go for :(

Plus you have to take into consideration that they aren't getting any newer and the less obvious things start need replacing e.g fuel pump

I'm thrown to much dosh at my S3 to let it go for peanuts just yet....the majority of the car hasn't covered more than 40,000 lol.

What mileage is your S3 on out of interest @Mik ?

I'm was in a similar situation, I love my 2001 S3, its only done 108k and has the RNS-E so got bluetooth handfree, SD slots for MP3's and sat nav.

I could go out and buy a newer car with exactly the same spec, so would be a waste of time.

My issue is the fuel gauge has gone bonkers, tanks reads full most of the time and when I fill it up it reads empty for the first 10 miles or so haha

I say keep it, as everyone says there worth hardly anything now but still a great car