Mysterious connector in dash

D

dev0173

Hi all,

I'm trying to fix some of the botched work done on the A3 8P that I bought a couple of weeks ago. Topic of the week is audio. The last owner fitted a Concert 2+ with one hell of a lashed together adapter. I reckon I'm on the right track to sort that out but while investigating the wiring in the dash I came across a white connector that I can't seem to find anything about.

cheGhmT.jpg

I reckon it's something to do with the switches that probably used to be in the centre console when the original single-din stereo was fitted.

Anyone know what this little connector is for?

Thanks

Steve

Is there any part numbers or other info on the plug?

Is it not the AUX connector? Though im not 100%.

I don't think it's an AUX connector because it definitely looks like it's part of the stock wiring loom. If I trace it back a few inches it joins to the same cable bundle that the hazard light switch is connected to. The car is a basic 1.6SE so there aren't too many fancy toys in there! In fact, the car pre-dates quadlock too - that's the adapter mess I'm trying to sort out with the Concert 2+ - so I don't think it'll be part of the audio setup.

It has a part number, 4D0971636E, but I think that just a generic 6-pin connector. There's nothing else on the plug itself (apart from an Audi logo) or on that part of the loom.

It can be used for a number of things. Cut and pasted from an american site as its easier so please excuse the CAPS and american spellings!
Product Information
ALSO TO BE USED FOR: PRESS BUTTON FOR TYRE MEMORY SWITCH FOR SEAT FOR VEHICLES WITH ELECTRONIC FLAT CONTACT HOUSING EMERGENCY LIGHT SWITCH WITH DISPLAY AND OPERATING UNIT CONTROL UNIT FOR ELECTRONIC CONNECTING PIECE CLOCK BUTTON FOR ELECTRONIC BUTTON FOR ANTI-SLIP BUTTON AUDIO/VIDEO CONTROL UNIT STEERING ANGLE SENSOR SWITCH FOR LUMBAR SUPPORT SWITCH FOR INNER LIGHT SWITCH STEERING COLUMN LOCK (ESL) STABILITY PROGRAM -ESP- SATBILITY PROGRAM -ESP- RELAY TURN SIGNAL/EMERG.LIGHT REGULATION -ASR- PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEM ADJUSTMENT . 2012
INTERIOR LIGHT SWITCH. LUMBAR SUPPORT ADJUS. TYRE PRESSURE MONITO. STABILITY PROGRAMME. BACKREST ADJUSTMENT. LOWER BACK SUPPORT. MEMORY SEAT SWITCH. SWITCH EMERGENCY. ANTI SLIP BOTTON. STEERING SENSOR. CONNECTING PIPE. DISPLAY UNIT. BOTTON. TIRE

Hmmm ... interesting. Thanks for that.

The only thing I can think it would from that lot is an ESP on/off switch connector. I'll take a look at the wire colours tomorrow and see if I can confirm it.

The only buttons that are typically used on that block are ESP, and Tyre Pressure Monitor System.

I don't think I've got TPMS on this car so it must be ESP. Problem is, the previous owner, while doing the conversion work for the Concert 2+ saw fit to give me these buttons:

uFwds7B.jpg

Neither of which are wired to anything! I don't think they belong in this car. I'll grab a proper ESP button off fleabay and see how that goes.

Thanks for your help.

I'll check tomorrow but I don't think so. IIRC those two buttons share a single connector.

Yep, those two buttons, and the "Passenger Airbag" light that's next to it all share a single 10-pin connector, which isn't present in my wiring loom! I'll fit the ESP button when it arrives.

That white connector is for ESP. The new switch arrived this morning and works like a charm.

Hi Dev i've got the same problem as you mate. Did you change the 3 left buttons but keep the same housing? I can't seem to find a way to detach the buttons?

I was hoping to install my ESP switch in amongst other switches in the housing but it's a slightly different shape and like you I couldn't figure out how to remove the existing switches. It looks like they're in one block and not easily removed. I left it in the end, so I have a couple of switches that do nothing and no way to switch ESP off! The hazard light switch works though, and that's the important one.

I tried to get hold of the proper housing, something like this:

XMSkQQA.jpg

but the only ones I could find were way too expensive.

Sorry, that's not much help!

Thanks for the fast reply dev :icon thumright: I'll probably pop down to audi to ask them if they know how to remove and replace the buttons. Because you can buy buttons separately so there should be a way to replace them individually