Glovebox light and Interior light not working

ChadA3

Reaction score
Hi,

I picked up a 2004 A3 this week and when i got it home the glovebox light and interior light don't work. I've checked the fuses in the drivers side compartment, the bulbs and that there is power going to them and they all seem fine?

Does anyone know what else it could be?

The interior boot light works however, are they all connected?

Thanks
Adam

Not sure about the interior light but for the glovebox I'm sure theirs some kind of sensor attached to the glovebox damper, could be something to do with that.

If fuses and bulbs are okay the next step would be to check the switches on the glovebox and the doors. Have you tried opening the passenger door to see if the interior lights come on?
Do the interior lights work at all?

Cheers guys, i will check that for the glovebox.

The interior light wont come on when the door is shut or open. Ive tried it on all settings for both. If it was the switch would it still work when the door is shut?

Thanks

Could still be a dodgy switch that's shorting things preventing the light from coming on at all. If you've tried opening both (or all doors) and light won't come on even when over riding to be on when the doors are closed then this would be my first check.

If someone local to you has VCDS they could scan the car for any faults as well which might narrow things down.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?i...114931330779.0004c29319cb89831d11c&dg=feature

I take it the rear interior lights don't come on either?

I'm not sure why the interior lights do not work, but a quick way to check your glovebox is to open it and see if just swings down quickly, which may possible indicate that the glovebox damper arm has snapped.
It's possible that the damper arm has snapped whilst the switch is in the "off" position and therefore any time you open and close the glovebox the light will be off. Open your passenger door and remove the plastic cover from the end of the dashboard. You will see the damper and if you can swing the damper left and right, it means the damper is no longer connected to the glovebox end thing, in other words, the arm has snapped. Other members on here have found ways to bridge this, by making their own arm with pivot point. I will have a go at this at some point, the glovebox arm on mine has broken!