Timing belt

dev66

Reaction score
Does changing this depend on age or mileage? Mine is a 2009 model but only ran 26k. But the garage insists I get it done? Am I being hoodwinked?
a1eb833f87fb63487090e2a0f0f20386.jpg

Not long had my cambelt/waterpump changed out. In my recent experience of this (mine is 2009 with 30,000miles), it's recommended to be changed after reaching either 5 years or some mileage limit (no idea). The problem in the former is that the rubber component of the belt deteriorates with time (whether used extensively or not), causing it eventually to become compromised, potentially leading to a catastrophic failure.

It's apparently the same with tyres that barely get used but should be checked regularly due to the same problem with the nature of rubber itself. The tyres on the rear of my car are factory (2009) rubber with a good 5mm, so perfectly legal, but what is evident is that they don't look so 'fresh' as the newer tyres on the front.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice it's much appreciated, I think I will get it done as the engine has had lots spent on it in upgrades. now running at 335bhp. So.makes sense to protect the investment