Another problem with my 2.5tdi V6 - Aux belt.

ms1083

Reaction score
Been running perfectly until I started it last night when out. Horrendous squealing belt noise and engine juddering. Took top covers off and cam belts looked ok thank goodness but it was dark and had no tools so had to resort to the AA (who I couldn't praise enough).

Anyway, AA found the main auxiliary belt to be slightly loose and whilst he was looking at it it stopped completely. Decided to cut it off so we could drive car without risk of it flying off and damaging vast amounts of stuff. Obviously no power steering or alternator. After cutting it and having to tug very hard it came away with a bit of its plastic casting embedded in it. I assume it got caught on an edge when it was going round loose.

Being lazy and letting garage fix it this time as can imagine myself stripping the car down, finding the problem then going "o SH**, its not just simply the tensioner needing retightening". On the phone to the independent he suspects its the bolt that holds the tensioner that has sheared and is a bit of a sod to get out to replace. I changed all the pulleys when I changed the belts last year but from memory I don't think the actual bracket of the tensioner gets changed, just its pulley. Anyway will keep you all updated.

If you mean the one with the big hex on it to the right of the locking pin?..... nope its not in the belt kit....
P1030472.jpg

P1030893.jpg

Last edited:
It sounds like that is what he means but I haven't heard back yet. I hope it is, it would make be feel better that it is not something that I fitted that failed!

Update. It was that bolt. Its the pivot bolt for the aux tensioner. Sounds like a real pain to get to. have to remove power steering pump, oil cooler and I think a/c pump. then replace gaskets for oil cooler, the replace bush/bolt, tensioner, pulley on tensioner and then the belt. had a look mid job and access to get to remove the pivot bolt looked terrible. Worryingly he seems to have had to a few of these before so I guess its another audi weak point.