Front Wheel Hubs

Stevofoz

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am having difficulty locating a new N/S/F hub for my 2001 S3. I have tried several suppliers so far but they all seem to be struggling to get the right part.

My hub has the hub nut rather than the bolt and has an integrated ABS ring. Where do people normally go for this sort of thing? I have tried GSF and ECP as well as a few eBay suppliers but no-one seems to have the right part in stock.

If I can't get a new one does anyone have any suggestions for removing the inner part of my dead wheel bearing from the hub? The bearing disintegrated when I pressed the hub out from the hub carrier and now has the inner part of the bearing left on the hub. I don't have acetylene so cannot heat it and there is not enough metal to get a puller on it. Anyone else ever had this problem?

This is pretty standard procedure, there is no way of removing the bearing without the whole lot disintegrating.

Carefully cut it with a grinder or just take it to a garage and get them to remove it.

If you press the new bearing your self be sure to have something acting on the other side of the bearing when you press the axle in otherwise you'll just push the bearing apart and have to do it all again with a new bearing!

agreed, its completely normal for this to happen and certainly isnt something that requires a new hub.

i usually just stick it in a vice and pry/lever/beat it until it comes off, its not usually stuck on that tight.

Worst case as mentioned, pop into your local garage and ask them to remove it (and get them to press in the new bearing while they're there if you dont have a press)