Replacing Broken Spring A3 sport

smillward

Reaction score
Hi

Having lots of issues with my A3 at the moment as some may have noticed, here is another....

Had my nearside rear spring changed by local garage as it was broken. Car now seems to sit a little higher on this wheel than the rest, not much but noticeable (I actually thought it looked odd before I even new which they had replaced and when checked paperwork it turns out yes - it was this one!)

Is this normal, does it take time for it to compress fully/settle? Or should I go back and check they haven't put a standard spring in by mistake (the sports springs I believe are slightly lower).

Thanks

I would say check what spring they fitted. If they are not genuine Audi and matched to teh reg no of the car then who knows about ride height. This has happened to an S-Line we have, someones changed te rear springs and it is stupid high at the back, would take a few bags of sand to bring it back to the correct height.

Probably will do, like you say they should check the exact part against the reg of the car etc. I didn't tell them it was a "sport" model as it didn't occur to me it may be relevant, but I don't think they can say it is my fault? They spotted the initial broken spring so isn't it their job to ensure it is the correct replacement or could they blame me? This is assuming it is the wrong spring.

Your springs will have colour codes, 3 or 4 dots for example yellow, pink, grey. If you check the other one, assuming it's original and genuine Audi, you should be able to see whether the new one has the same. If not and there are no colours it's going to be an aftermarket part. Sport springs should be -20mm on standard if that helps any but,no it's absolutely not your fault, they had they car and therefore the relavant details, they are the experts and if the part was say £90 from Audi and they thought that was wxcssive then I would say they should have a wee chat over the phone to see if you want to go ahead anyway or want to look for a cheaper option, IMHO, of course :)

Sorry, I think the -20mmabove is wrong.
I think it's -15mm for Sport suspension, because S-Line is -25 and S3 -35 so I doubt there would be just 5mm between Sport and S-Line but others may correct me.

Really appreciate the response will get this checked. I am not sure how accurate this would be but measured distance from middle of arch to top of wheel on each side and it actually is just over 1.5cm higher on the side they have replaced so seems likely they have cocked this up.

Update
Garage happily took it back to check and it WAS the wrong spring, they had been supplied with a standard spring. Apparently they claimed an issue that you cannot get aftermarket sport springs they are only available from audi/vw so it confused them when ordering it as they could not see a "sport" from their normal suppliers? Anyway at least they replaced it. Still remarkable that professionals can make this mistake.

Thanks again

Cool, glad you got a good outcome, suppose this is why I have ended up doing all my own repairs and hating having to take the car to the garage for anything, started when I was 17 and got charged by a "pal of my Dad's" for parts that didn't exist on my car. Then there was another garage that fitted strut that popped up trough the bonnet whenever |I drove the car, wrong part, professionals, Hmph!