A3 2.0Tfsi (BWA)- Should I hear fuel pump priming.?

Sharkie1976

Reaction score
Hi all.
Can someone tell me if I should hear the fuel pump priming when I open the drivers door, or turn the key to position 2?? I only ask as I am having slight starting problems first thing in the morning and if car has been stationary for a long period. If it does, where abouts would the noise be coming from (front or rear)??
I have also noticed that one of the rubber hoses near the Expansion Tank wobbles around quite a bit on tick-over. I looked at a site with all the parts and it says its a fuel line. Does yours do this?? Can somebody with a BWA engine take a look next time they are looking in the engine bay??

Many thanks in advance guys :):)

I can hear mine too, think it's the lpfp at the back. Also have the wobbly fuel lines but no problems with flow.

Reactions: Sharkie1976
Yeah hearing the pump priming open drivers door is normal. Always thought it was the HPFP but dont know for sure actually.

I will get off the couch now and look, it's cold outside!

I think it's lpfp with the door, hpfp on position 2 although it's hard to tell. Have you checked the battery?

We
I can hear mine too, think it's the lpfp at the back. Also have the wobbly fuel lines but no problems with flow.
-----
Thanks for your reply. The problem is, I don't hear anything. So I should hear something from the rear??

----
Thanks mate. I don't hear any kind of priming noise when opening door or turning key to 2nd position. Hmmmm.

----

I think it's lpfp with the door, hpfp on position 2 although it's hard to tell. Have you checked the battery?
Yeah hearing the pump priming open drivers door is normal. Always thought it was the HPFP but dont know for sure actually.
Have you checked for pressure at the rail? If you release the fuel pressure from the filler cap it will have to prime next start.
-----
No mate, didn't know how to check the fuel pressure of I'm honest. I will try undoing the fuel cap on the morning and see what happens. Is that all I need to do? Also, what noise should I listen out for??
Thanks again!!

----
I did check the battery the other day with everything off and it read 12.3v. I think that is ok. It turns over fine but sometimes needs an extended crank or a second attempt.

From your original post it sounds more like a bad battery than a fuel issue, but removing the filler cap will depressurise the fuel system, so the pumps will have to prime in order to start the engine. You can check for pressure by locating the shrader type valve by the hpfp, remove the cap and give it a press, but don't smoke while doing it hehe

Also, 12.3v is low so that might be your problem

From your original post it sounds more like a bad battery than a fuel issue, but removing the filler cap will depressurise the fuel system, so the pumps will have to prime in order to start the engine. You can check for pressure by locating the shrader type valve by the hpfp, remove the cap and give it a press, but don't smoke while doing it hehe

Also, 12.3v is low so that might be your problem
----
Thanks again for your advice mate, greatly appreciated!! I'll have a look for that shader valve, I know where the hpfp is, so should be around there then. What should the battery read with engine off then mate??

The valve is just under the hpfp if I remember correctly, it has a plastic dust cap on. The battery should ideally be 12.6v fully charged

Ok, raining heavy this morning, so no checks been done. I don't think the battery has been changed ever, so it's around 7 years old. Probably doesn't help, lol. Any advice on new battery?? Bosch one?? S5 or similar?? Thanks again for your help mate.

Battery is probably your problem, mine went earlier this year (original one). Just go to Halfrauds and get the best you can afford, get them to for it too to save on hassle. I think I paid about £70 ish for an upper middle range model

I never used to hear it on my BMW until I had it changed as part of a service. Generally I dont like hearing it

Battery is probably your problem, mine went earlier this year (original one). Just go to Halfrauds and get the best you can afford, get them to for it too to save on hassle. I think I paid about £70 ish for an upper middle range model
----
Yes mate, I borrowed my friends load tester and it showed up as weak when applying load. Ordered a new Varta D15. The one in the car was a Moll, never heard of that and looked pretty old. Will change when it arrives and let u know how it goes. Cheers bud

Hi, I didn't know that A3 primes when you open the door and turn to position 2.
It's when you are cranking, meaning that the pump is supposed to maintain pressure.
Ok the Cheers

Hi, I didn't know that A3 primes when you open the door and turn to position 2.
It's when you are cranking, meaning that the pump is supposed to maintain pressure.
Ok the Cheers
-----
Thanks for the info, very useful!!

Hi again. Just to let u know that I fitted the new battery, but this morning it was still requiring an extended crank to get the car running. Needed a new battery anyway, so not bothered about that side of things. Any more suggestions???