Nav info on RED DIS on retro fit RNS E

Final 3Green Land

Reaction score
Hi,

Before I get bombarded with use the search, I have and have not found the answers to my exact questions so please forgive me if this post might seem like a repeat...

My car, an A4 B5 Avant 1.9Tdi 1998 vintage with a retro fitted RNS E from a 2007 car with a can bus emulator fitted and Audi factory Hands Free Phone system... It is a UK car as is the RNS E.

Everything works well as far as the actual RNS E but a few questions I could do with answers to...

I want to get my RED DIS to display the NAV instructions... What do I need to do this? I have VCDS and can recode but I cannot find the exact codes I need to enter to get this to communicate... can anyone help here please?

Secondly, in order to get the DIS to display these details, is there a wiring change, if so, do the wires need to be removed from one pin position to another or should I be piggybacking them so the info goes to two positions? or, as I have the emulator, is a wiring change necessary at all?

I have read that there is a glitch in the system where you need to wait some time for the changes to take effect etc, is that correct for this model?

Also, I have a 8cd auto changer, can this work with this setup? at the moment it doesn't show up on the RNS E. I guess this is a coding issue. Anyone have the codes here too please??

I am sorry if some of you think here we go again but I cannot find the answers pertaining to this exact fit and problems.

Thanks in advance.

AFAIK you cant do it with a '98 cluster, it doesnt support the canbus messages required.

Scott got an RNS-D working in his '98 car, but he converted the cluster over the facelift type, which requries a lot of rewiring and a new sump.

As above you need a FL car (1999 on wards) that supports infotainment can-bus, so your cluster will need to be replaced. I've got a MK2 RNS-E fitted to my FL B5 A4 and the directions appear on the DIS without any errors, as there is no glitch on the B5 cluster as the colour cluster like on the B6/B7 was not an option on the B5

No the CD-Changer won't work, you would need a compatible changer from a B6/B7 which only supports 6 CD's.