Audi A3 Advertising

Anthony G

Reaction score
Hello,
For my GCSE media coursework I will be creating 3 30 seconds TV adverts for the Audi A3.
As part of the preparation I need to conduct research on my target audience and therefore I thought this website would be a good place to look.
If you could spare a few minutes to complete my questionnaire it would be very much appreciated.
If you would like to complete a questionnaire, send me a message and I will email you a copy.
Thank you for reading and thank you even more if you can help me!

hi happy to help as you need support with your homework/project and whilst ive not had an audi that long you seem to have approached i well known forumof members for help. there are many other members that are far more experienced in terms of car ownership knowledge of dealers deals finance marketing and advertising, but i guess every little helps.

Chris

Happy to help. I remember doing something similar for my GCSEs years ago - why didn't I think of using forums??

Put me down too - would be interested to see the results of your work when finished.

Thank you very much for all replies so far!
I have reached my original target of 10, and am now aiming for 20, so let me know if you can help! :)

Last edited:
As part of the preparation I need to conduct research on my target audience and therefore I thought this website would be a good place to look.
Just remember this a an online forum. As such it will be populated by mostly male, internet literate, car enthusiasts. I did a poll to see which spec of car most people here are driving. I read somewhere that Audi expect to sell SE, Sport, Sline in the ratio of 40/30/30. It was no surprise to find that more than 50% of people who replied to the poll here are Sline drivers. IIRC, more S3 drivers than SE replied. Also there was another poll on age of drivers buying S3s. Again it was no surprise that people over 50 were under represented. Despite being in the age group that could best afford the car, they did not grow up with computers and are less likely to use online forums.

My wife drives the A3. Though I am not sure how much she would contribute to your survey. She said, 'I want a red one' and left the details to me. Joining this forum was part of my research :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceho
Can I offer a view?

Most people on this forum are already "Brand Loyal" - so would already have an Audi as their first or second choice anyway. Nevertheless, they are still "target" - but maybe just a small part of the target of Audi Marketing.

Would there be scope as part of your GCSE to get your questionnaire into say "competitors" eg: VW Golf, and "aspirational" eg: car drivers of other marques, but may be looking to move into an "aspirational" brand eg: Audi BMW Mercedes. These groups are also "target" in the sense that they are new prospects to Audi.

It's just that if you're scoping a TV advert - the prime target audience would be people that aren't currently in an Audi.

I guess this may be too complex for a GCSE project, but it might be worth a thought or mention, to set the scope of the project at least.

Reactions: Daz Auto and Ceho
Can I offer a view?

Most people on this forum are already "Brand Loyal"

Good point. For some reason Audi kept sending me the Consumer satisfaction survey, instead of my wife. IIRC they had questions like - what was your last car?, did you consider another car? Guess they were trying to determine if we are brand loyal. I filled in the whole thing then got to the last question - what is your income? What has that got to do with consumer satisfaction? Decided they did not need to know our income and put it in the bin.

Reactions: veeeight
Just remember this a an online forum. As such it will be populated by mostly male, internet literate, car enthusiasts. I did a poll to see which spec of car most people here are driving. I read somewhere that Audi expect to sell SE, Sport, Sline in the ratio of 40/30/30. It was no surprise to find that more than 50% of people who replied to the poll here are Sline drivers. IIRC, more S3 drivers than SE replied. Also there was another poll on age of drivers buying S3s. Again it was no surprise that people over 50 were under represented. Despite being in the age group that could best afford the car, they did not grow up with computers and are less likely to use online forums.

My wife drives the A3. Though I am not sure how much she would contribute to your survey. She said, 'I want a red one' and left the details to me. Joining this forum was part of my research :)

Can I offer a view?

Most people on this forum are already "Brand Loyal" - so would already have an Audi as their first or second choice anyway. Nevertheless, they are still "target" - but maybe just a small part of the target of Audi Marketing.

Would there be scope as part of your GCSE to get your questionnaire into say "competitors" eg: VW Golf, and "aspirational" eg: car drivers of other marques, but may be looking to move into an "aspirational" brand eg: Audi BMW Mercedes. These groups are also "target" in the sense that they are new prospects to Audi.

It's just that if you're scoping a TV advert - the prime target audience would be people that aren't currently in an Audi.

I guess this may be too complex for a GCSE project, but it might be worth a thought or mention, to set the scope of the project at least.
Thank you very much for the tips!
I'll post a similar thread on competitor forums and see what they prefer about the other competitor so I can focus on those features in my advert.
However I will also still need surveys completed by Audi drivers to find out what they like about their car so I know what is important to them.

Thank you very much for the tips!
I'll post a similar thread on competitor forums and see what they prefer about the other competitor so I can focus on those features in my advert.
However I will also still need surveys completed by Audi drivers to find out what they like about their car so I know what is important to them.
Not sure you need to go to those lengths. Though you should ask - What was your previous car? What other cars were you considering? Thinking about it - adverts have 2 purposes, mainly attracting new customers, but also keeping current customers loyal.

What is the competition? Well the A3 was basically a mid-size family hatch. Though they have expanded the range this generation to include the saloon/sedan to appeal to the North American market. The traditional competition would be the Ford Focus, Vauxhall Astra, Renault Megane and Peugeot 308. Though it is also other cars in the VAG group such as the VW Golf, Seat Leon and Skoda Fabia. People will also be looking to move up to mid-size family hatch or down size due to personal circumstance. Perhaps the Audi A3 is an premium, aspirational brand? The class winner is usually the Golf. Possibly because the Golf is the most practical car in the class.

We looked at the Golf and the A3. My wife had a Golf. She just fancied a change. Though I think she always wanted an Audi.

Reactions: Anthony G
Also happy to help and I echo the thoughts on building up a biased view, the same goes with competitors. I think surveying here, the 8P section and 1 competitor plus secondary research (do a Google search something should come up) will help you form an opinion. Just ensure you detail how you did your research as part of your project.

If you have three adverts, imo that's perfect:

Advert 1 - The A3 Sportback; go for a practical approach to show off it's stylish inside and out, ease of access and fuel economy/financial savings. Your likely target audience; families and older people.

Advert 2 - The A3 3dr; similar to above but show the top end of the A3 and the available technology/engines. Your likely target audience; couples, older couples, 20-35 females/males.

Advert 3 - The S3, show off the 3dr and 5dr, performance, handling, styling, fuel economy and tax band. Audience is likely to be 25 and up males.

Hello again,
Some people expressed their interest in finding out the results of my questionnaire, so here they are. These are the most popular answer for each question:

How old are you?
50+

Are you:
Male
What do you look for in a car-order from 1 to 10 (1 being the most important and 10 being the least important)?
1. Range of standard equipment
2. Choice of optional equipment
3. Fuel consumption
4. Availability of finance
5. Quality of build
6. Servicing costs
7. Choice of colours
8. Value for money
9. Re-sale value
10. Dealer support
Which colour of car attracts you most?
Grey
In a car advert, do you prefer hearing a voiceover or music?
Music
When do you usually watch TV?
6pm-9pm and 9pm-12pm
What types of TV programme do you watch?
Documentaries, The News, Sport, Car shows, Comedy, Drama, and Crime/Detective
What is your favourite feature on the Audi A3?
MMI screen.

Thank you to everyone who participated. It was a great help! :)

Favourite colour, Grey.

I'm sure if Audi offered Beige there would have been a stampede.

Mary Berry is living proof that you don't have to wear Beige once you reach a certain age. Wayne Rooney must be positively drooling watching her on GBBO. :p

Reactions: Pulp84
Favourite colour, Grey.

I'm sure if Audi offered Beige there would have been a stampede.

Mary Berry is living proof that you don't have to wear Beige once you reach a certain age. Wayne Rooney must be positively drooling watching her on GBBO. :p

Hahaha - just woke Mrs Pulp up laughing about the Rooney reference. She was just getting her Sunday snooze in and now I'm the dog house for waking her up. Good old Rooney - shows money can't buy class....

The Rooney quote would go straight over the OP's head veeeight - that was almost ten years ago! :faint:

Makes me feel really old as remember that being a big, big story at the time.

OP - please don't google it....stay pure for your studies :readit: