8v Steering Wheel On 8p

check out this diagram of pins i made to clear myself, maybe it helps for someone else changing 8K for 8P
sorry if it is in spanish but i might help someone else

edit: i'm not 100% about which is which between white and purple (multifunction and paddle shift)
Thanks for diagram but still my car has 2 connection to the airbag new airbag has only 1. Would i be able to make it work somehow. I dont care about multifunction. Main thing is an airbag

Thanks for diagram but still my car has 2 connection to the airbag new airbag has only 1. Would i be able to make it work somehow. I dont care about multifunction. Main thing is an airbag

in that case, you're in the exact same boat as me. you bought the 8V airbag.
you need 8K airbag to make it work, and apply the diagram attached.

so in basic, if you still want the wheel to work you need to buy
- Lowline buttongs LIN1.0 - code 4L0951523E
- Audi A4 8K airbag - code 8K0880201AE

- Highline steer module - code 8K0953549K(2009 and up) 8K0953549F(2005 - 2009)
(this is only if your car originally didnt come with multifunction or paddleshift)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chestermix

- Highline steer module - code 8K0953549F(2009 and up) 8K0953549K(2005 - 2009)
(this is only if your car originally didnt come with multifunction or paddleshift)
This is what i have now in my car

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,133
you got some of that wrong.
the part numbers for the steering control module for the buttons to work are:
8p0 953 549 f - 2004 - 2009
8p0 953 549 k - 2009 - 2012

as for the 8v airbag, it won't work. sell it and get the 8k as advised (from an a4 or a5)
then you need to repin a few of the pins in the connector that goes into the slip ring and once its all fitted and coded it will work fine.

I have this wheel I've read its single stage airbag? Can some one confirm

Will this wheel work thanks

Reactions: Nikolaos
View attachment 68230 I have this wheel I've read its single stage airbag? Can some one confirm

Will this wheel work thanks
View attachment 68231

your setup will need some work...
your current wheel is a single stage.

so to upgrade you need the wheel in the above picture (mode on the right) but you will need the airbag from the 8v as its the single stage airbag. Maybe offer to buy @Chestermix airbag since he has the 8v one?

I'm about 99% sure the airbag in the wheel in the pic above is a dual stage one because it would have come off the A4/A5. they look identical from the front but slightly different at the back

your setup will need some work...
your current wheel is a single stage.

so to upgrade you need the wheel in the above picture (mode on the right) but you will need the airbag from the 8v as its the single stage airbag. Maybe offer to buy @Chestermix airbag since he has the 8v one?

I'm about 99% sure the airbag in the wheel in the pic above is a dual stage one because it would have come off the A4/A5. they look identical from the front but slightly different at the back

Thanks for the info ash

Sry Ash187!
But my -04 8P does only have 1 stage airbag.

(I think it depends on what size of engine you have, mine is 2.0fis)

I got the 8V airbag & steering wheel with the 8K lowline buttons.

IMG 0155

If its an 8P A3 then its always going to be a dual stage system in the car.
The 8K airbag will work but will need a few pins changed over.
The single stage wheel is only good for the really old cars or the new ones. the mk3 TT now has a single stage airbag as does the A1 and the A3.

Sry Ash187!
But my -04 8P does only have 1 stage airbag.

(I think it depends on what size of engine you have, mine is 2.0fis)

I got the 8V airbag & steering wheel with the 8K lowline buttons.

View attachment 68990

thats lovely mate! yes the early 8P was a single stage (2003-2005)... those cars have the older steering wheels:
Steeringwheel.jpg

so for those wheels you need to upgrade exactly as you have done.. 8v airbag, 8v or 8k wheel with 8k buttons.

for anyone with the dual stage wheel its the 8k wheel and airbag thats needed

Reactions: Pergan
Anyone to try this module to work on 8P -8V0907468T gateway?
Only upgrade the gateway for 8V steering wheel.

Why would you fit the gateway module? If you want the Highline Buttons to work, that function is in the steering wheel module and not in the gateway module.

hey banny, that one from the link will not work for sure.

to upgrade to a MFSW, if your car didnt come with buttons originally, you need a highline steer module 8K0953549K(2009 and up) 8K0953549F(2005 - 2009).

if you need the module, search it just with the code that suits your car

i serach the gateway module from china website as http://tw.taobao.com/item/521203353...=_AB-LR492-LR501-LR517-PR492-PR501-PV517_2117
that say just only upgrade this.
so anyone to success what need to upgrade? only MFSW or GATEWAY?
i just want to know if i upgrade the MFSW k version that can success to work. right?
i'll buy it k version if it right .

This Is interesting..
We know that Highline Buttons does not work with the 8P car, so you mean that if we take the gateway from the 8V and put it in the 8P we can make the Highline buttons work?

I GUESS that button communication in 8V is directly in the gateway and that the steering wheel module does not exist in 8V (I have not looked into this) cuz the steering angle sensor isn't located behind the wheel anymore. (so why make a useless box behind the wheel when you can move this small curcuit to the gateway?)

So if you fit that gateway without any other issues with all other modules (not likely). You will have to bypass the steering wheel module in the 8P,

Another solution could be to mount this 8V gateway beside the 8P gateway and only connect it to the canbus line and only to the buttons, this could be a mess in the canbus system.

I'm just speculating, feel free to join me. haha

This Is interesting..
We know that Highline Buttons does not work with the 8P car, so you mean that if we take the gateway from the 8V and put it in the 8P we can make the Highline buttons work?

I GUESS that button communication in 8V is directly in the gateway and that the steering wheel module does not exist in 8V (I have not looked into this) cuz the steering angle sensor isn't located behind the wheel anymore. (so why make a useless box behind the wheel when you can move this small curcuit to the gateway?)

So if you fit that gateway without any other issues with all other modules (not likely). You will have to bypass the steering wheel module in the 8P,

Another solution could be to mount this 8V gateway beside the 8P gateway and only connect it to the canbus line and only to the buttons, this could be a mess in the canbus system.

I'm just speculating, feel free to join me. haha
i get where you're going, that MIGHT get the highline buttons working, but i maybe **** up something else, dont you think? whats the price to get like 2 buttons extra? i dont know if its that worth, since i wont be just the gateway, you'll probably have to change a bunch lot more than just that

Good to all I Have an airbag of audi a3 8v, and need repin in order that it works in one a4 b8 or a5. Might someone say to me the cables that it is necessary to change? Also I am grateful if someone can say to me since I do in order that it works in one 8p? Already buy this airbag for mistake, and I cannot become exhausted mas money in other one, need that this one works. Thank you

Attachments

• JhHDApC_opt.png
    JhHDApC_opt.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 775
Good to all I Have an airbag of audi a3 8v, and need repin in order that it works in one a4 b8 or a5. Might someone say to me the cables that it is necessary to change? Also I am grateful if someone can say to me since I do in order that it works in one 8p? Already buy this airbag for mistake, and I cannot become exhausted mas money in other one, need that this one works. Thank you
hey! unfotunately, b8s are dual stage and the 8v is single stage, even if you repin it, it wont work and you'll get a warning light because one detonator will be missing in the system :/

Reactions: Pergan
Thank for your answer
And there is no way of it going on to two stages? Since in the oldest models it was done?
In the 8p cannot one repin either?

Does any one know if the high line buttons can be removed and a blank be put in their place?

Reactions: fernando young
Yes it can be done, i sell those kits for button less wheels.

Ash, i have a 2008 08 plate A3 170tdi, i wanna upgrade to MFSW would you be able to supply a steering wheel inc airbag a re pinned airbag harness and a highline steering control module please?

Hi guys.
Can i get some codes for what do i need to retrofit my A3 2006 steering wheel, to a steering wheel flat bottom + multifunctional buttons?

My wheel is this one: http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/harris9053/audiwheel.jpg

From what i read, i need the 8v wheel, with the button that have MODE on, not the arrows.
Will the multifunction buttons works if i don't have them on my actual steering wheel?

Thanks!

Hi guys.
Can i get some codes for what do i need to retrofit my A3 2006 steering wheel, to a steering wheel flat bottom + multifunctional buttons?

My wheel is this one: http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s363/harris9053/audiwheel.jpg

From what i read, i need the 8v wheel, with the button that have MODE on, not the arrows.
Will the multifunction buttons works if i don't have them on my actual steering wheel?

Thanks!

Hi @Fakken , yes indeed, you need the one with the buttons that say 'MODE' instead of arrows, thats the 8k FBSW ;)
BUT to make your multifunction buttons to work, first you need to know if you have the right module, since yours came without multifunction orifinally.

the easiest way is to scan and check if you got the correct module, if not you gotta buy that one.

you need the module 8P0953549K if your car is 2010-2012
otherwise you need 8P0953549F if your car is 2005-2009

also for the airbag, make sure your airbag is single stage or dual stage

if it's dual, you need to buy an 8K airbag, and change the pin position (not really hard)
if it's single, you need to buy an 8V airbag

Thank you Fernando for the answer.
1. I have a vag-com cable. How can i check if i have the right module?
2. How can i check if i have Dual stage airbag or Single stage airbag?

My airbag is like the one in the upper picture. They are not standard?
Like... Dual stage after 2005, and single before?

The car is registred on June 2005, and appears as 2006 in my vin.
Thanks!

Thank you Fernando for the answer.
1. I have a vag-com cable. How can i check if i have the right module?
2. How can i check if i have Dual stage airbag or Single stage airbag?

My airbag is like the one in the upper picture. They are not standard?
Like... Dual stage after 2005, and single before?

The car is registred on June 2005, and appears as 2006 in my vin.
Thanks!

1st, to check with vagcom, just go to module 16 i think it was steering wheel, click that and it should show you in blue or green i dont remember, the number of your module.

2nd, your airbag, that one is hard for me to know, since they look similar on the outside, but theyre a different thing internally. if you want to check that, just unscrew the 2 torx under the caps behind the steering wheel and check. you dont need to undo your battery or anything, since you wont be unplugging anything. doing that, check if the back of the airbag has one or two detonators, if you cant tell, just take a picture and upload it

I will do that tomorrow, because its kinda late now.
Thank you very, very much!

Mode button wheels are from A4/A5

Single stage airbags from A3 8V

On iPhone using Tapacrap

Mines a TT so had to use a dual stage bag from a A4/A5
605c74256b18cb414e26efd01cd080ba.jpg

On iPhone using Tapacrap

Reactions: downtothebone, speedyMT, Pergan and 2 others
i got my clockspring + module + cruise control (it was a WIN) for 160€ on ebay
the coding is really simple, the same steps as any other MFSW

edit: if you got clocksping ending in D and module ending in F or K (i think F according to the year of your car), you're good to go
Mine is working with slipring C

Hi guys. Just signep up here. Congrats for the good job! I want to retrofit the new steering wheel (8k one) and after reading this thread I still have some questions.. My current steering wheel is single stage (04 A3), and I will need the 8V airbag. Thats ok, but what about the airbag harness? Do I just need to take off the yellow connector from the 8P (which connects to the slipring) and put it on the 8V harness? If so how will I know where each pin goes to? I saw the pinout diagram which is posted here but only the 8P dual stage airbag is shown there..
Thanks in advance guys, hope someone can help me here :)

Hi guys. Just signep up here. Congrats for the good job! I want to retrofit the new steering wheel (8k one) and after reading this thread I still have some questions.. My current steering wheel is single stage (04 A3), and I will need the 8V airbag. Thats ok, but what about the airbag harness? Do I just need to take off the yellow connector from the 8P (which connects to the slipring) and put it on the 8V harness? If so how will I know where each pin goes to? I saw the pinout diagram which is posted here but only the 8P dual stage airbag is shown there..
Thanks in advance guys, hope someone can help me here :)
hey!! just use the 8v airbaig with harness. unplug the original yellow connector on your car, and fit the new airbag harness
the pin position should be the same ;)

Thanks mate. I'm still searching for a steering wheel and airbag so it will take me some time for this retrofit.

- Highline steer module - code 8K0953549K(2009 and up) 8K0953549F(2005 - 2009)

Does anyone know if this part number above is the definite part number for the airbag for the 8k flat bottom wheel that fits on the 8p as I can get a wheel but need to get a seperate airbag?
Does anyone know if there are any other round dual stage airbags that will fit the 8k flat bottom wheel and then go on the 8p or has it got to be the 8k airbag only?

The 8k0 airbag is dual stage for A4 / A5

It's the 8V0 airbag from A3 8V you need for single stage

The 8k steering wheel is the same fitment for both single or dual stage airbag, the steering wheels are all the same, it's the controls that are different as there different Lin versions
You need one with the "MODE" button on the left control, NOT the one with the left and right arrows

Basically, you need a wheel from a A4 / A5 and a airbag from a A3 8V

Here's mine which is on my TT, same set up as A3 8p
ef7ed4bc7ab9efd7fc6ab49410cc8ed9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The 8k0 airbag is dual stage for A4 / A5

It's the 8V0 airbag from A3 8V you need for single stage

The 8k steering wheel is the same fitment for both single or dual stage airbag, the steering wheels are all the same, it's the controls that are different as there different Lin versions
You need one with the "MODE" button on the left control, NOT the one with the left and right arrows

Basically, you need a wheel from a A4 / A5 and a airbag from a A3 8V

Here's mine which is on my TT, same set up as A3 8p
ef7ed4bc7ab9efd7fc6ab49410cc8ed9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No you're wrong mate I've got a 57 reg 8p so you're right I do need that wheel which I know but it's a dual stage airbag that I need and not a single stage like you're suggesting

Reactions: Tj 0785