2.0 Tdi Dmf Failure? Youtube Videos Attached

RSW46

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm having some troubles with my car and have it booked in with the dealer I bought it from to have a look at on Wednesday, but I want to try and understand what's wrong with it before I go in there.

The link with my previous troubles is here: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/strange-vibrating-rumbling.224857/

I've been looking in to it and am thinking that my DMF may be on it's way out and just want some confirmation of the symptoms from you guys.

From a cold start, there is a noise that sounds like a high frequency tapping / grinding in P and N (DSG gearbox). The noise goes when the engine warms up, but the car struggles to start a bit when warm. Also, when warm, the car shudders every three or 4 seconds, there's definitely a rhythm to it, and it's a bit like a gust of wind hitting the car, except there's no wind rushing noise.

I've put a couple of YouTube vids up, if anyone could have a look at these and shed some more light, or tell me if I'm totally wrong, I'd appreciate it! The links are below:

In the cold start one, you can definitely hear a different noise between N and D.

Thank you very much in advance!

Is anyone able to help with this please?

I have the same problem with mine but I have a 6 speed manual gearbox. I've had mine checked by an audi technician and he confirmed to me that it's the DMF. Not to sure what causes the problem as of yet. I'm changing mine very soon though, also changing the clutch while I have it out :) rough cost, I payed £371 for a LUK fly wheel and clutch kit. Hope this is any use to you :)

Jordan

Thanks for the reply mate! I'm actually at Audi now seeing if one of their technicians can have a listen and attempt to diagnose it before I go back to the dealer I bought it from tomorrow. Based on what you've said here and my suspicions, I think it's the DMF :-(

When i bought my Audi A3 2.0L TDi DSG, i was told the dual mass flywheel will need doing soon.

I noticed that in P and N (same as yourself) it would make this horrendous noise similar to yours, I also noticed that shudder you have mentioned. So yeah definitely DMF.

Still done another 2,000 miles in it as I needed my car on a daily basis, but then finally got around to getting the DMF done last week along with a DSG service.

Noise is now gone and gear changes are a lot smoother and quicker compared to before.

Hope I've helped!

Reactions: Jord159