A4 220 Bul Engine -v- S3 Engine, What Is Interchangable?

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As in the title really,
I'm looking into some possible engine upgrading and noticed mentioned in other threads that certain parts were iterchangeble between the two lumps ( A4 B7 BUL-220 & 8P-S3) and do have noticeable improvment in the perfromance of the A4 BUL engine.
any feedback would be great on what can be done.
rob

Last edited:
Rods, pistons and camshafts are different on the S3. Other than that, both engines are virtually the same. Some may have revised parts that differ from age of manufacture. Any k04 based engine has stronger rods for the increase in low down torque. The BUL can handle a k04 but boost needs to be restricted to prevent you from bending a rod.

If it's maintenance parts your looking for, then all are the same (minus the parts mentioned above)

Forgot to mention, the sump and pick up pipes are also different, due to one being transverse and the other being longitudinal.

Anybody know the difference between the ecu's in a A4 B7 Sline special edition 2.0tfsi BUL engine and the S3. Are they interchangeable?

Anybody know the difference between the ecu's in a A4 B7 Sline special edition 2.0tfsi BUL engine and the S3. Are they interchangeable?
Same ECU, just mapped differently. They are interchangeable but I'm not sure you'll gain anything, plus it will need coding to the car for the immobiliser.

Sorry to respond to a very old thread. Craig I am interested in why you say that you are not sure that the S3 engine would gain anything. If it's got more power and torque and potential for tuning than the b7 engine why would there not be a gain? The 8p S3 is only 40 odd kg lighter than the b7 so unless the gearing is different I can't understand why there would not be an improvement. Standing by to submit to superior knowledge . The reason I ask is I am considering the same.

Sorry to respond to a very old thread. Craig I am interested in why you say that you are not sure that the S3 engine would gain anything. If it's got more power and torque and potential for tuning than the b7 engine why would there not be a gain? The 8p S3 is only 40 odd kg lighter than the b7 so unless the gearing is different I can't understand why there would not be an improvement. Standing by to submit to superior knowledge . The reason I ask is I am considering the same.
I think Craig meant in the sense that swapping the ECU doesn't make much sense, as you can just remap your BUL Ecu and achieve the same as swapping your ECU for an S3's.

The S3 option is just more of a pain as you will probbaly need to remap for your specific mods anyway, but also need to code to the cars immobiliser.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Ah I understand. Because I can't see a reason not to do a swap, unless it's very complicated. More research required. Thanks

if only there was a guide to do the swap as someone with a dtm has done the swap using the s3 cdl engine.