Cambelt and water pump

GarryA3

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the recommended milage is that you should changed these? Its for an A3 1.9 TDI and its a 2001 Y plate.Cheers!!

[ QUOTE ]
what about a 1.8t quattro?

[/ QUOTE ]

think its 120k by book. howver i am getting mine done on 80k (better be safe than sorry).

I've just had mine done (about 1 month ago) and my mileage is 65k.

I phoned several different audi dealers who seemed to vary between 60 and 80k

better safe than sorry imo

I have a mate with a Golf on the AUM engine and when he spoke to VW about when it should be changed they said every 60k miles as the plastic impellers on the water pumps have been know to go!!

[ QUOTE ]
I have a mate with a Golf on the AUM engine and when he spoke to VW about when it should be changed they said every 60k miles as the plastic impellers on the water pumps have been know to go!!

[/ QUOTE ]

No different to most other cars.. but 60K is best bet to have em changed.

Mines on 58,500.

Will be getting it done in the next few weeks for £350 by an independant VW garage.

Is it possible to change water pump but not cambelt??

Reason being had cambelt done recently and guy didn't do water pump saying there was no need to. Wish I had insisted on it now.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible to change water pump but not cambelt??

Reason being had cambelt done recently and guy didn't do water pump saying there was no need to. Wish I had insisted on it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad advise if you ask me!

Majorly bad advice, but Audi dealers do exactly the same, then they can sting you for another £500+ 20k miles later, all for a £35 saving on a pump.

Also, if the water pump were to fail, chances are it would seize and strip that shiny new cambelt of yours into hundreds of little pieces.

Bad advice bordering on negligence.

Gary,

Mine cost £350 from a seat dealer I know, i phoned audi and they wanted close to £600 for the job.

always best to phone around for the bes price, any vw / seat / skoda dealer will be able to do the job as it's the same engine installed in most tdi's.

Mike

think i'll get it done at next service (£100k miles) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif