225/40/18 tyres

Buick7

Reaction score
Looking to get some budget tyres, set of 4 for my new alloys, anyone know the best place to get some/best ones to get?

Going to get better tyres come the summer just want budgets for the next few months

Thanks

Just got some Goodyear F1 asymmetric 2 fitted locally for £422, I know hardly budget but you dont want to bin it before summer

How much were they mate without fitting? I have my own tyre fitting machine and balancer so can do that myself! Thanks mjr901!

Go for Falken if you want cheap price for few months. They are midrange and miles better than any budget tyres you'll get. Try Avon too

How much were they mate without fitting? I have my own tyre fitting machine and balancer so can do that myself! Thanks mjr901!
Hey Bud without fitting I could get 4 for £331 from Camskill up north or £360 from Mytyres

Thanks guys! Will have a look about today :) can get 4 nankangs for 150 so that seems pritty reasonable!

Budget tyres should be banned from the road. They are extremely dangerous. there should be more laws about them...if you have to buy budget tyres you shouldn't be owning an expensive Audi!

Entry level good tyres - Avons, Falkens etc.

Nangkang, Fullrun, all the other chinese imports - Widow and orphan makers

Reactions: MalcB
Budget tyres should be banned from the road. They are extremely dangerous. there should be more laws about them...if you have to buy budget tyres you shouldn't be owning an expensive Audi!
Entry level good tyres - Avons, Falkens etc.
Nangkang, Fullrun, all the other chinese imports - Widow and orphan makers

Couldn't agree more. Bought a Mitsubishi VR4 some years ago with Wanli's on. OK'ish in the dry but nearly had a write-off on a roundabout ....in the wet and at sensible speed. Like driving on a diesel slick.

Couldn't agree more. Bought a Mitsubishi VR4 some years ago with Wanli's on. OK'ish in the dry but nearly had a write-off on a roundabout ....in the wet and at sensible speed. Like driving on a diesel slick.

Similar to me, Bought my first Type r Subaru, was fitted with Fullruns...went round a corner on a hill in cornwall at 30mph after picking it up, it wasnt even thirty in all fairness as I was mollycoddling the car while getting used to it, almost went over the side. Horrifically dangerous.

Thankgod the OP bought Falkens!

Just bought (today) an S3 with Falkens on. Seem OK, possibly a bit noisy on the road. Have got Yokohamas on my Cupra R after having Falkens. Great tyre in the wet and the dry and.......quiet.

I have Falken tyres at the moment. Just swapped them to the back actually.

The grip is OK in the wet and good in the dry. The only downside I've found is the noise and also they don't seen very progressive. As they wear, the grip (especially in the wet) seems to disappear and for that reason I won't buy them again.

For next time I'm stuck between Sessanta, Vorti, Eagle F1 Asy 2 and Pilot Super Sport. Taking into account cost I think the Super Sport are out but I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell me otherwise lol...

Another caveat I have this that the tyre I go for needs to be available in 235/40/18 as well as 225/40/18. I have 8J wheels and want the extra grip and more sidewall for the front.

Pilot sport 3s are very good, and cheaper than Super sports.

Having had some Pilot sport 3's on the front of mine I wouldn't recommend, they did well grip wise in dry and wet but after having a 4 wheel laser alignment they were still bald in 9000 miles. Tyre guy wasn't surprised, said his wife only gets 10k out of a set on her 1.6 A3 let alone my S3.

Currently have a set of Nokian winters on and they are phenomenal, I drove up a long steep ice/snow covered track that a nissan adventura with 4wd and 4x new "all round" tyres on couldn't get up, couldnt even force it to step out in the snow easily unless I booted it in first with some steering on. Having never used winters before I will always do so from now on.

As far as a summer tyre i'll probably go back to the bridgestone potenzas that came on it because they seemed to last much much better than the PS3s although probably not quite as grippy.

To be honest Michelin tyres don't last as long because they are softer. That tends to reduce road noise in my opinion so that doesn't surprise me

There are so many mixed reviews of PS2/3 that leaves me unsure. Whereas PSS everyone seems to love unanimously...