Winter Car Storage? / Introduction / West Yorkshire meets?

christianjmoran

Reaction score
Hello All,

After trawling on these forums for the past 8 months or so, I decided I should actually make a post. (Better late than never, right? ;)

Firstly, I must say, what an absolutely fantastic forum. So much useful information contained within this place it's unbelievable.

I'm from Leeds (If anyone cares)! Ordered an S3 Glacier White with all the trimmings back in Dec. Finally took delivery in late April - the wait was painful, as i'm sure most of you will echo. What a fantastic car!! Reg plate is "XT11 ***' if anyone's seen it knocking around and is from Leeds!

So, to the main point of the post;

1. Winter car storage - Thinking of sticking the car into storage over winter and using my beloved 03 plate Punto :cool:
The car may stay in storage for a period of up-to 3 years (due to moving to Dubai for work related reasons).
Any tips / recommended places to store in the nearby area?

2. Do any of you guys and girls meet up? I've seen a few fellow S3's knocking around Leeds!

Cheers

Christian.

Reactions: Sandra
Hi Christian.

Have a look in the local meet section, we normally meet up on the first Wednesday of the month at the old post office just off the M1 Wakefield. However we do have an Audi dealer meet this Sunday at Harrogate Audi, these are always a great day out, as we get the full VIP treatment.

As for storing your car for 3 years that's a long time for a car not to be run. I would sell it or you could give it to me and I will give it a run out every weekend ;-)

Phil

Last edited:
Reactions: christianjmoran and Sandra
Hello All,

After trawling on these forums for the past 8 months or so, I decided I should actually make a post. (Better late than never, right? ;)

Firstly, I must say, what an absolutely fantastic forum. So much useful information contained within this place it's unbelievable.

I'm from Leeds (If anyone cares)! Ordered an S3 Glacier White with all the trimmings back in Dec. Finally took delivery in late April - the wait was painful, as i'm sure most of you will echo. What a fantastic car!! Reg plate is "XT11 ***' if anyone's seen it knocking around and is from Leeds!

So, to the main point of the post;

1. Winter car storage - Thinking of sticking the car into storage over winter and using my beloved 03 plate Punto :cool:
The car may stay in storage for a period of up-to 3 years (due to moving to Dubai for work related reasons).
Any tips / recommended places to store in the nearby area?

2. Do any of you guys and girls meet up? I've seen a few fellow S3's knocking around Leeds!

Cheers

Christian.

Welcome to audi-sport.net Christian. If you wish to meet up with others there is a small events ling in my signature. The next meet is on Sunday (link below) if you wish to be included in this meet, please pm me as i have finalised this today. I need to know asap so i can arrange to jave you added on. Enjoy the forum. :) x

Reactions: christianjmoran
Hi Christian.

Have a look in the local meet section, we normally meet up on the first Wednesday of the month at the old post office just off the M1 Wakefield. However we do have an Audi dealer meet this Sunday at Harrogate Audi, these are always a great day out, as we get the full VIP treatment.

As for storing your car for 3 years that's a long time for a car not to be run. I would sell it or you could give it to me and I will give it a run out every weekend ;-)

Phil

Cheers for the heads up Phil. Sent a message to Sandra asking if I can be added to the list. Fingers crossed it's not too late.
haha yeah, sure, will give you my keys before I go :)

Reactions: Phil-1
Three years is a long time to lay a re car up. Without some kind of storage programme. Internal condensation is the worst enemy, plus seals can dry out and fail. Its possible that without being chocked or regularly rotated the tyres may not survive, they'll certainly have a flat spot. Battery will have sulphated up unless it's on something similar to an Optimate.

If it was me I would sell it as the depreciation over the three years will be horrific. Put the money in some investment and buy a nice new shiny one when you get back.

We used products from these people......
Daubert Chemical Company: Motorstor Products

Last edited:
Reactions: pat15312
Three years is a long time to lay a re car up. Without some kind of storage programme. Internal condensation is the worst enemy, plus seals can dry out and fail. Its possible that without being chocked or regularly rotated the tyres may not survive, they'll certainly have a flat spot. Battery will have sulphated up unless it's on something similar to an Optimate.

If it was me I would sell it as the depreciation over the three years will be horrific. Put the money in some investment and buy a nice new shiny one when you get back.

We used products from these people......
Daubert Chemical Company: Motorstor Products

Cheers for the feedback Steeve. Some interesting points you have raised.
Totally understand and appreciate your point re, depreciation on the vehicle..

Thing is though...let's face it...unless you have some vintage Ferrari, you're never really going to make real money on cars, and as such depreciation will always be a factor whenever buying a car.
Suspected that I would be moving away prior to buying the car. Also, would be nice to have the car when I come back - something to look forward too :)

I was looking at this website ...
Platinum classic car storage package

What do you think?

Thanks for the heads up on the corrosion products - sound like they could be useful for sure!

Christian.

The storage procedure sounds good. It's also making sure they a reputable. But to get back to depreciation. Your car will be worth something like 30 to 40% of its current value. Sell it now and you'll be putting probably 80 to 85% of its value in the bank. Allowing for inflation and the almost £6000 storage fees you're a winner by a big margin. When you know your coming back you have the cash to be able to order one in time to be available when you get of the plane in three years.

But of course it's your choice. I'd only store if it was an absolute classic.

Agree with the points above

Depreciation plus storage costs are going to work out really expensive vs selling up, putting money away and buying a newer one upon your return. Who knows what extra features will be included in MY17!

Good the storage place gets engine up to temp regularly (without that your cams and seals would be bone dry upon return. Ditto aircon). Would still expect some condensation etc especially in the exhaust & don't know how the belts would fare or perish with infrequent use.

If you miss a service with Audi then will affect warranty too.

Other question is what happens if storage company goes bust. Administrators would probably make you pay something to get your car back (yes that's legal) since it was in storage companies care (regardless of ownership) so they have spent effort on it so would want to recover that cost for the creditors. Admittedly paying a monthly 'care charge' mitigates this.

For a classic no longer manufactured and likely to hold value/appreciate then I see the merit but unless it's a supercar I don't think it represents value for money. If it were for ~6 months then yes but for several years I am not convinced.

Tough decision - good luck!

John.

Last edited:
I can't agree enough with the other guys, you would be 5-digits better off selling up before you leave.

With regards to looking forward to it when you get back, the only thing you would be greeted with is a big bill getting it back on the road :/

Reactions: cemerson
Agree with all the above, selling is the only sensible option

Alternatively, take it to Dubai, it'll blend in well with the other cars...well sort of. ;-) might get a bit sandy though.