Confused. Please Help

gmcl

Reaction score
I just bought an 06 B7 S Line and have only noticed that the small compartment to the right of the handbrake isnt quite right. I assume its a general storage compartment but strangely in mine the flooring of this is a rubber mat which when pressed I can feel some holes. Now this is my first Audi but Im assuming it should be a hard plastic bottom? I am afraid this may have been damaged or cut out for god knows what reason and Im quite anxious as to why. Any help would be appreciated as to what should be there and any solutions to restore this? I have found a picture of a centre console with the compartment but that too doesnt show any solid bottom as if something should be there as shown below.

Edit: To be clear its the larger compartment not the one below the cigarette lighter.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 201
I just bought an 06 B7 S Line and have only noticed that the small compartment to the right of the handbrake isnt quite right. I assume its a general storage compartment but strangely in mine the flooring of this is a rubber mat which when pressed I can feel some holes. Now this is my first Audi but Im assuming it should be a hard plastic bottom? I am afraid this may have been damaged or cut out for god knows what reason and Im quite anxious as to why. Any help would be appreciated as to what should be there and any solutions to restore this? I have found a picture of a centre console with the compartment but that too doesnt show any solid bottom as if something should be there as shown below.

Edit: To be clear its the larger compartment not the one below the cigarette lighter.

Thanks

No it is fine. The rubber part will just lift out so you can see the holes etc. The holes will probably for different country/spec cars. Some will possibly have a car phone built in and require the holes to pass wires through etc
Nothing to worry about it just potential ideas for future projects...

No it is fine. The rubber part will just lift out so you can see the holes etc. The holes will probably for different country/spec cars. Some will possibly have a car phone built in and require the holes to pass wires through etc
Nothing to worry about it just potential ideas for future projects...

Thanks for that, although the rubber mat type thing was inserted manually its not an audi part. Is there anywere I can get the floor mat for this compartment without the obvious scrap yard?

Thanks for that, although the rubber mat type thing was inserted manually its not an audi part. Is there anywere I can get the floor mat for this compartment without the obvious scrap yard?

Ebay will be your best bet. Plenty on there breaking, unless someone jumps in on this that is breaking one... anyone?..

Pretty sure on my last two A4s its just a bit card wrapped with a velour type material, something you could make yourself in minutes.

Thanks for your replies. Im a picky guy so Id like to know its the correct piece in there. I guess i'll have to find it from someone breaking one.

Thanks for your replies. Im a picky guy so Id like to know its the correct piece in there. I guess i'll have to find it from someone breaking one.

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow and see if it has a part number on it for you

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow and see if it has a part number on it for you

Cheers, Ive been searching the internet to no avail. There isnt much of a facility for Audi OEM parts in the UK like BMWs realoem.com but i think ive managed to find a part number 8E0863301A. Let me know what yours says and i'll call my local (miles away) audi centre tomorrow to see if they can order it for me.

Cheers, Ive been searching the internet to no avail. There isnt much of a facility for Audi OEM parts in the UK like BMWs realoem.com but i think ive managed to find a part number 8E0863301A. Let me know what yours says and i'll call my local (miles away) audi centre tomorrow to see if they can order it for me.

Sorry mate, I can't find a part number anywhere on it. Try audi with the one you have.

Thanks man, I rang my nearest audi dealer who has ordered it for me £7 odds which is happy days. Thanks folks

Did they let you order it over the phone? Audi Huddersfield makes you go in to pay before they will order stuff, and won't take payment over the phone! Very annoying!

Yep, I asked if it could be delivered as its too far and give my card details. They said it would be posted tomorrow. Another thing thats annoying me is the glove box latch to the left has snapped. Any ideas how much that would set me back to fix properly?

Yep, I asked if it could be delivered as its too far and give my card details. They said it would be posted tomorrow. Another thing thats annoying me is the glove box latch to the left has snapped. Any ideas how much that would set me back to fix properly?

If you mean the latch that opens the Glovebox its quite an easy fix. About £20 for the part. But with you saying "to the left" you probably mean the hinge which is a very common failure. It can be repaired with a piece of metal and can look at bit untidy, I'm guessing you wouldn't want that look!!!! Only option then is a new glovebox I'm afraid and that's not cheap. Someone has got one for sale on eBay with optional extra cool box inside.

Yeah unfortunately I seen that fix on youtube and looks abit unsightly.. Shame u need a whole new glove box for such as small issue. Ive read that this is a common fault so ud think audi would have an easy way of replacing the latch. Ill look out for a new glove box anyhow.. or just put up with it as I rarely use it lol

Yeah unfortunately I seen that fix on youtube and looks abit unsightly.. Shame u need a whole new glove box for such as small issue. Ive read that this is a common fault so ud think audi would have an easy way of replacing the latch. Ill look out for a new glove box anyhow.. or just put up with it as I rarely use it lol

Yes well it is only the Mrs' knees that it falls onto!!!!! But if you rarely use it then the cheap fix isn't a bad option for now?..

I'll just leave it I think.. if i got a second hand one its likely to snap again. Im suprised theres no way to just replace the latch.

I'll just leave it I think.. if i got a second hand one its likely to snap again. Im suprised theres no way to just replace the latch.

It's actually part of the Glovebox, it's the stupid damper that causes it to snap