Audi Sound System - Yes Or No?

Bristle Hound

Staff member
Reaction score
Pondering my last (hopefully lol) option

My current Audi has exactly the same spec sound system as the optional Audi Sound System on the S3

10 speakers in total including centre speaker in the dashboard and subwoofer in the parcel shelf.
6-channel amplifier with a total output of 180 watts

I know how good it is, just wondering whether I REALLY need it

Or am I answering my own question lol :keule:

PS Can't understand why Audi have put such a 'basic' sound system in a S3 when they put something like Audi magnetic ride on which is a £995 option as standard on other models. Crazy!

Of course you don't really need it, but then you probably don't need an Audi!

The *** is good and I'm glad I spent the £250, but it's not as good as the Bose I had in my old A6.

It just seems to lack a bit 'sparkle', but it has lots of power and bass if you want it.

For the price it's a bit of a bargain IMHO. True, it's not on par with the B&O but it's a good system nethertheless. I think as a minimum it should be specced as the standard system is not really up to the job if you regularly listen to the radio or music and taken enjoyment from it.

Once again personal choice, I know many that never have their 'radio' on let alone put a CD in it.
If you're into music and (unlike me) can tell the difference then It's got to be worth it if you spend significant time in your car. But I suppose you have to listen to it stationary with the engine off to get the most out of it?

Once again personal choice, I know many that never have their 'radio' on let alone put a CD in it.
If you're into music and (unlike me) can tell the difference
There is quite a difference between the standard sound system and ***. It is easy to tell them apart. Whether that difference interests you or not is a different question....

I think *** should be standard and the B&O the upgrade, but it isn't. Whilst that is the case, I would recommend anyone who actually turns on the audio system to think of *** as the base spec.

I'm usually against options, as I've previously stated in various threads on Audi Connect, ACC, sit there while I attempt to park for you but mangle your alloy on the kerb :huh: etc. but in this instance I'd add the Audi Sound System.

Maybe sounds a bit odd but for £250 it seemed worthwhile and there is a noticeable difference between the standard setup and the Audi option. Even for someone like me who turns the radio/tunes off a lot of the time, £250 didn't seem a lot to upgrade it, it does sound so much better.

If it had been £500+ I'd likely have stuck to the standard system, but for a few extra £ on the PCP it felt like a good deal :laugh:

Ausi Sound System seems to be the standard with A3 Sedan in Mexico...

I have it and for me, it sounds great! Great sourround sound and good bass, it does not distort so much at hight volume levels.

You get the B&O with the S-line only and is optional to the other versions.

On the S3, B&O is standard.

Thats how it works in Mexico.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Pondering my last (hopefully lol) option

My current Audi has exactly the same spec sound system as the optional Audi Sound System on the S3

I know how good it is, just wondering whether I REALLY need it

Or am I answering my own question lol :keule:

PS Can't understand why Audi have put such a 'basic' sound system in a S3 when they put something like Audi magnetic ride on which is a £995 option as standard on other models. Crazy!

I have been a long-standing complainer on this forum of the A.S.S :music:

It depends what you want from your music. I personally have my music very loud and very bass-heavy. I find that the bass and sub is pretty rubbish, mainly because it severely clips the audio at a certain volume. I also agree that it lacks and kind of sparkle; it might have more bass over the standard, but the audio quality certainly isn't increased.

I had a 2009 Ford Focus with the standard Sony Speakers before my A3. The speakers in that were its party piece - they were exceptional. Never clipped sound, bass strong enough to shake the mirrors and doors. Whilst I love my A3, the Focus speakers set the benchmark for me, and the A.S.S is nowhere near. If music is important to you like it is to me, don't make my mistake and go for the B&O.

:thrashi:

I had the Mag Ride on the TTS and I never pressed the switch more than a couple of times..... it was just too hard a ride. I have B&O on my current S3 and I am note sure I would have paid the added cost..... but it was on the car and I am glad it is :)

Thanks for all the comments people. Appreciated :)

It depends what you want from your music. I personally have my music very loud and very bass-heavy. I find that the bass and sub is pretty rubbish, mainly because it severely clips the audio at a certain volume. I also agree that it lacks and kind of sparkle; it might have more bass over the standard, but the audio quality certainly isn't increased.

I had a 2009 Ford Focus with the standard Sony Speakers before my A3. The speakers in that were its party piece - they were exceptional. Never clipped sound, bass strong enough to shake the mirrors and doors. Whilst I love my A3, the Focus speakers set the benchmark for me, and the A.S.S is nowhere near. If music is important to you like it is to me, don't make my mistake and go for the B&O.

:thrashi:
Just had to comment on this....

I suspect you are after a particular sound that is neither natural nor particularly easy to listen to - using the equaliser to make (what some would describe as) impressive sounds rather than something which represents the music somewhat approaching as recorded. The *** is not a club PA. It's not too boom and tizz - which is what I suspect I'd call the sound you are after.

Don't get me wrong - I like my music loud - I wouldn't want to be my next door neighbour given what I listen to and the volumes I listen to it at - but a good sound system actually doesn't sound loud even when turned up - and bass that shakes mirrors and doors is definitely felt and not heard.

I don't think £300 or £750 addon systems would do all of those things properly. I also don't expect those systems to be club PAs (no matter how nasty and distorted they can be :)).

Reactions: Martinbanshee, glospete, JohnM100 and 1 other person

I suspect you are after a particular sound that is neither natural nor particularly easy to listen to - using the equaliser to make (what some would describe as) impressive sounds rather than something which represents the music somewhat approaching as recorded. The *** is not a club PA. It's not too boom and tizz - which is what I suspect I'd call the sound you are after.

Don't get me wrong - I like my music loud - I wouldn't want to be my next door neighbour given what I listen to and the volumes I listen to it at - but a good sound system actually doesn't sound loud even when turned up - and bass that shakes mirrors and doors is definitely felt and not heard.

I don't think £300 or £750 addon systems would do all of those things properly. I also don't expect those systems to be club PAs (no matter how nasty and distorted they can be :)).

You couldn't had say it better.

I think it's pretty subjective.. it depends on how you listen to music or how "trained" is your ear.. for average people, *** will probably be more than ok.. like me.

I actually never surpass 22-23 of volume as I play it for ME, and this volume level suffies this purpose...

Reactions: glospete, SilureMark and Pulp84
Audi Sound System is plenty for me. Volume 22? I haven't taken it above 16! Glad I specced it.

I found the standard system OK-ish (coming from an 11 year old car) but after listening to ***, the standard system seemed flat and a bit 'meh' in comparison and would struggle a bit on a concrete motorway.

Am sure comparing *** to B&O would be similar step up but *** was a good value upgrade and more than suited my needs.

John.

Last edited:
Reactions: glospete
I suppose the question is 'can you live with the standard system ?' It is very poor in my opinion hence me going for the ***. Any regrets ?? Yes, should have gone for the B&O. The *** is ok, but not as good as the Bose I've had in my previous A3,S3.

Mark

Reactions: markjames and SilureMark
I've got *** in my S3. At first I was happy with it, but then I rarely listen to anything but the radio and never have the volume much above 10. Anyway, the missus had left her ipod plugged in and I cranked up the sound, as you do ... hmm. Once you do that, it does start to underwhelm. I thought it on a parr with the BOSE in my TT's and previous S3, but on reflection, it isn't. It's not crap by any means, but it isn't great either. It's definitely an improvement over the standard set-up, but that's poor and I think having to pay for what you'd expect as standard is a bit of a cheek. In hindsight, I should have got B&O but the price premium Audi charges for it does challenge your thinking, especially if like me you don't really listen to anything but the radio (most of the time). I spent the money elsewhere, e.g. SS Seats... if I'd added B&O and a couple of other ditties I was pondering, the car would have been nudging £40k. Anyway, when (if) I order the RS3 next year, I will be having B&O.

Reactions: markjames
Stick with the ***, the B&O option (on the 3 door) is pretty poor value and misses a pair of speaker that are found on the 5 door, all top end with a little Bass and very little midrange, you can't tune the sound to how you might little it ... unless you like it really really bright as you only get Bass, Treble and Sub adjustments.

I completely understand your opinion, and don't get me wrong I don't expect others to share my listening tastes either - they are a very personal thing. I am from a very music-orientated background, although I would say that some of my volume requirements are to attract attention (its such a beautiful car, I am sure you can relate :laugh: )

My point is mainly that I don't think you get anything remotely special for the price of the upgrade, and it makes me wonder if it is worth it at all. I have listened to the standard one, and the B&O one, and I think that the A.S.S doesn't act as a particularly good half way house.

In my car, I also rarely go over the 22-23-24 volume range, that is more than loud enough. However, at this range, the majority of my music gets clipped, even a year down the line (I was told to let it 'settle in'). This is with the sub and bass set to 50% and 60% respectively; I have played with the settings with little change in results.

I always reference my old car speakers because I think that, for a standard run-of-the-mill vehicle, they were very good. I had hoped that moving to a premium brand would offer atleast similar as standard, but its far from it. The B&O sound quality is exceptional, irrespective of volume (although it does go LOUD). In my office, I have the Harman/Kardon Soundsticks; these aren't designed to be a PA either, but they achieve exactly what I like - music loud, base-heavy and no clipping in sight.

I guess the moral of my story is... if you love your music, B&O is more than worth it.