Boost Loss/cutting Out Intermittently

Surlaw

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum and have not long owned my A3 having bought it around 2 weeks ago.

She's a 170 2.0 tdi sport with DPF (sadly) and used to pull like a train, now not so much.
I'm sure its loss of power and not just me getting used to the pull as when accelertaing when reaching around 3k rpm in 3rd the boost cuts out for a few seconds and then suddenly kicks back in.

It does this in most gears and there is a noticeable on/off feel to boost when approaching 2k rpm also

The car sort of judders due to the loss of power and feels noticeably slower, it still goes but its definitely not the power I had when I first purchased!

Car is booked for a full service tomorrow, hoping this may help!

I removed the blanking/restricting plate from the air box the other day which seemed to improve the feel/power somewhat. It's almost as if I have a loss of pressure from somewhere.

Any ideas on what to check? I did presume it could be the DPF becoming clogged but I commute to work so would presume this would be in working order (20 minutes each way, 70 mph all the way)

Thanks in advance guys

EDIT:

From time to time I notice that when I pull up, the car will idle at around 1k rpm and the exhaust sounds lumpy but after around 3-5 minutes the car returns to normal rpm. Correct me if i'm wrong but this might be DPF regen or the alternator running higher to compensate lost charge?

Actuactuator rod sticking maybe?? Had same issue with my tdi 170 got progressively worse untill went into limp mode constantly end result was recon turbo full service remap egr n dpf job😎😎😁

Actuactuator rod sticking maybe?? Had same issue with my tdi 170 got progressively worse untill went into limp mode constantly end result was recon turbo full service remap egr n dpf job������������������

I'm going to have a look at this tonight and have mentioned it to the garage doing the service so hopefully it gets checked!

As for your DPF, how do people manage without as IIRC new MOT rules state it must be present?

I understand haha best get looking for someone to do the job soon I guess!

Cheers

Good job I got 12 months MOT on her too!

Just incase anybody's wondering, or for future reference - after the service the car feels like she's back to normal. Had a DPF light a week or so after posting this but had nothing since.

Touch wood at least!