Loud Engine Ticking

WorkInProgress

Reaction score
Could a loud ticking in the engine bay be caused by a failing crankshaft sensor?

I bought a replacement today but didn't get a chance to fit, hopefully will do tomorrow morning.

Noticed a loud ticking/clicking/tapping which I can't pinpoint where it's coming from. Search turned up injectors/FPR/charcoal canister but just curious if it could be from the sensor as it's a weird coincidence.

Noise increases in frequency as the revs rise. Car is a 1.8t AGU

if you suspect the charcoal canister, unplug it the ticking will go away, at least you can remove that from what it could be

A crankshaft sensor won't do that, it could be numerous things, is it engine related? Seeing as it climbs with engine revs? Injectors make a clicking sound as they pulse, can you hear it inside or outside the car?

A crankshaft sensor won't do that, it could be numerous things, is it engine related? Seeing as it climbs with engine revs? Injectors make a clicking sound as they pulse, can you hear it inside or outside the car?
Inside as well as outside, definitely engine related. I know some AGUs do tick but this just seems a bit louder than normal. Might do an oil change tomorrow to see if that clears anything up.

Couldn't pinpoint a particular area of the engine.

Cambelt tensioner?

Might be worth dropping the sump and checking the oil pick up pipe isn't partially blocked, if you can hear it inside the car then it's not injectors etc, it's a mechanical ticking possibly from the engine