Worth changing to a largeport head?

Joeyburton17

Reaction score
Hi guys, haven't posted much on here so please bare with me. My question is whether it is worth changing to a largeport head for a hybrid build. I've got an apy S3 and I plan to do an engine rebuild and swap to a hybrid K04. I have an agu head sat in my garage. But, I'm unsure if it's worth spending time/money to get it refurbed for the build. Thanks in advance for replies.

Thanks Dave. Am still unsure what the best course of action will be. The main reason I'm thinking of changing the head is because i can get the agu one refurbished while still using the car. Don't really wanna take it off the road to get the apy head refurbed before the build.

Not worth the hassle. As mentioned in the thread posted above, K04 turbo's don't flow enough to see any real gains. You might see a small increase in the top end but will loose out in the low-mid range, which is why Audi changed from largeport to smallport as they are better designed for the size of turbo and are more than capable for any hybrid.
Unless you are a dyno whore and all about that peak hp number don't as your car will drive better due to the better low-mid range and will probably be quicker too in day to day driving.

But by all means if you are only fitting to get the other head refurbished then switching back go ahead.

Thanks Dave. Am still unsure what the best course of action will be. The main reason I'm thinking of changing the head is because i can get the agu one refurbished while still using the car. Don't really wanna take it off the road to get the apy head refurbed before the build.

I am in as similar position as you. I also don't wanna take the car off the road and am going hybrid K04.

I have a AEB large port head taken off my parents A4. They owned the car from new and the head is low mileage in great condition.

I am going to give the large port head a try, will be interesting to see how the graph looks compared to a small port when it is mapped.

Thanks again, you've really helped to summarise that other post, it's easy to get bogged down when trying to read through all the different threads. Think I'll stick with the sp for the foreseeable future.

Jim S3, it will be nice to see the results, to compare

Jim S3, it will be nice to see the results, to compare

Yeh looking forward to getting it finished. I can always go back to my small port head if it doesn't work out.

yes you can....
do you have the dyno with small port head
i have a aeb in the garage too....

yes you can....
do you have the dyno with small port head
i have a aeb in the garage too....

My small port setup is on Revo stage 2, stock turbo. It's making 270 bhp. I have tried tweaking the Revo settings but can't get it to do more than 270, it just makes more heat and takes out timing.

My first experience with a hybrid turbo will be with the large port head.

Will be interesting to compare with others with the same turbo and manifold, but with small port setup.