New Audi Owner

AudiGirl30

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently acquired a friends Audi A3 V reg as he is about to start a family and needed a 5 door car. I've always dreamt of owning an Audi so quite chuffed to be upgrading from my little Ford Fiesta 1.2 T reg.

It's been a shock to my system, not the power but the cost of running. My insurance has gone up by £11 a month and tax is gonna be a killer! There a few chips in the windscreen which need repairing or replacing and soon. I have been told the cam needs changing soon. Seeing as the mileage is at 133,000 I take it that means between 135,000 and 140,000 it'll need doing. Also the last MOT showed many things that need attention...

Windscreen damage
Nearside and offside brake pipes slightly corroded
Nearside and offside Tyres worn close to limit
Both rear tyres perished
Offside front Tyre worn inner edge close to limit
Engine covers fitted obscuring some components in engine bay
Coolant leak from pipe on bulkhead
Play in steering rack inner joint(s)

My question to you all is what's the most important to start getting sorted before the next MOT in November 14. I need to start doing it in bits each month or I'll never be able to afford to own this car. Your advice is much appreciated.

Welcome to the club!!

Did the car actually pass its MOT with all of those faults??

With the windscreen, it will probably be cheaper to get it replaced through your insurance.

Tyres would need sorting pretty quickly, especially if they are perished..(has the car been sitting for a while??), if they were near to the limit in November 13, im pretty sure if the car has been used regularly they are illegal, so just bear in mind its 3 points per tyre and hefty fines too.

Brake pipes would be priority too, as obviously being able to stop is important!!

Coolant pipe leak again would need sorting pretty soon too, just keep on top of the levels and make sure the car doesnt run dry.

Good luck :)

Welcome to the club!!

Did the car actually pass its MOT with all of those faults??

Haha ha yes it did. I'll ask the previous owner about the tyres maybe he since had them changed. What about the Cambelt?

personally id stick to the required intervals on the cambelt, so if it needs doing get it done, water pump at the same time due to the fact its cheap and everything is off whilst doing the belt, be aware though that unless doing the job yourself its not exactly cheap (going by your comment about the tax increase is a killer) but if the cam belt snapped its going to cost a load more to do as you will need to repair the potential damage to the engine / put a new engine in.

enjoy the car though, might cost a bit more but its a hell of a to more car that your old one.