Tiptronic box- correct use

Tank.

Reaction score
Now I've not driven a lot of auto boxes but had a test drive on friday in an A6 avant 3.0 tdi. Chap that came with me was by no means an audi expert but pulling out of the forecourt was met with a set of lights which had just changed. I stopped and put it in park. He told me im wrong and to just leave it in drive?

Whats correct procedure when stationary?

normally at lights/junctions you would leave in drive and prevent creep (if no auto hold) by use of the footbrake.............. or for anything longer use the parking brake........stops the annoying glare of stop lights in following drivers face....... maybe select neutral if having to wait more than normal at lights etc.

If the lights have just changed then I stick it into neutral, I only use park when I'm parking up. Remember when you put the car in to park you have to go through the reverse gear so the reverse lights flash up, which makes the driver behind a bit uneasy. (well it does for me!)

And when parking can you put it in park without the parking break on? Does it automatically apply it or do you also need to press the park brake button